FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Settlers of Zarahemla (Mormon RISK?)

Author Topic: Settlers of Zarahemla (Mormon RISK?)
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Mormon RISK

I saw this on ebay when I was looking for cheap anime (which I found in abundance), and I was wondering if any of the LDS here have ever played it or know what it is.

Without really reading into it in detail, it looks like some sort of Mormon RISK game.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, it's a Mormon Settlers of Catan.
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

That doesn't ring a bell either.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Catan is as if Risk and Monopoly got together and had an evil child. an evil child who was fun to play with.
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

lol!

I don't know about that. RISK and Monopoly are my two favorite board games ever! Is it fun to play?

Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm almost positive "Uncle Orson" reviewed Settlers of Catan once, but I'm too lazy to look it up and post a link. Past my bedtime.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Interesting. Those Provo people are always doing crazy things. I seem to remember Book of Mormon action figures. A good joke I heard was of Lamanite action figure arms that really fall off (after Ammon cuts them off).
Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, so I didn't go to bed and I'm a bit OCD:

OSC's short Settlers of Cataan review.

And a little discussion about it.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Settlers of Katan is a very fun game, and I think the changes they made in Settlers of Zarehemla are all improvements.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
Settlers of Zarahemla is actually the best selling game at our nearby game story. We are not in a LDS neighborhood. The game has significant design improvements, which make setup easier as well as game play. Also, the board is prettier. Settlers of Catan is probably the most popular of German games, so a better version sells well. (The owner does give people a warning that some cards have LDS labels, but that the game itself is in no way "mormon") True to German games, it is fast and relatively easy to learn. I don't think I would describe it as Risk or Monopoly. There is no warfare or battles. I would classify it as a civilization building game.
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I gave my nephew Settlers of Canaan (yes, Canaan, not Cataan) for Christmas last year in an attempt to pull him away from video games. We had a good time playing it.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.