FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Deciding Whether to Change Jobs: To Teach or Not to Teach

Author Topic: Deciding Whether to Change Jobs: To Teach or Not to Teach
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
As some of you know, I used to be a teacher. After teaching for only two years, I needed to take some time off. I was afraid that I would just continue teaching for years, when it might be something that I wasn't sure I wanted to do for the rest of my life. My first year had been hell, but my second year was alright. I had made some vast improvements. But still, 3 years ago I decided to go to graduate school full-time, and stop being a teacher for a while. I was hoping that going to graduate school would give me lots of time to decide whether or not I wanted to go back to teaching.

I ended up not taking a full-load, since 2 classes at once took a lot of time and was really hard! My first year, I helped to teach a college ENGL 1101 class, so I still got some teaching in. After that, I got the job I have now, working full time at the university library.

I don't make a lot of money here, but our expenses have recently gone down--not by much, but it will be slightly easier to get by now. If we were able to buy a small house sometime soon, our expenses will go down even more, since our rent is so high (and it doesn't include utilities).

I've been negative about teaching sometimes in the last three years, especially when I hear other people talk about their struggles teaching. So one would think, why would I consider going back, since we can scrape by on my current salary?

Well, here's why... In the last three years, I cannot count the number of times I have thought up a new procedure to use to keep order in my classroom, and how many times I have thought of new lesson plans and things I could teach, and the different ways I could set up my classroom for different activities, and things I can do to prevent being overloaded with grading and school memos and absence reports and make-up work, and just everything! And I think about how I cared about the individuals in my classes, and how I wonder if I gave them enough personal attention and how I know I could have given more if I had other things in my classroom running more smoothly. And I know that with all of these plans in my head, I could be a good teacher. And it was being buried in paperwork and the lack of really good procedures and planning that made me so stressed all the time. As I said, I did better my second year, but now I have even MORE ideas.

If I stay put and decide not to pursue a teaching job, I'll have more time to devote to finishing my thesis. I don't have my masters yet. But I feel that I could do both, it just might take me a little longer if I'm teaching, and I'm okay with that. And if I stay put, I also have the option of getting a second masters in library science (paid for by the university, since I'm a full-time employee) in 2 or 3 years. I'm not sure I WANT to be a librarian, but the hours are good, the pay is good, it's the same retirement plan, and I'm still working around books. (I could actually get a second masters in anything I wanted, provided I have the right background. The university will pay for me to take up to 8 hours at a time.)

So I don't know what to do... Does anybody have any advice as to how I can make this decision? I think that while I'm deciding I better go ahead and apply for teaching jobs--if I don't, I might find that the choice will be made for me when all the jobs are gone.

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Teaching won't go away as an option. Realistically speaking, you might well find yourself unable to complete your thesis if you go back to teaching right now. If you care at all about the time you put into grad school, I would recommend you wait to go back to teaching.

Good luck.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

That's a really good point.

Hmm...

So much to consider...

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd stay put, largely because your options are far wider for the long term.

In the meantime, to scratch your teaching itch, consider offering a class or two on something to your community through Parks and Rec or become a Sunday School teacher.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

Wow, jeniwren, that's a fabulous idea. I really don't know how to start looking for places that offer classes like that, but it sure would be a lot of fun. I would love to teach a writing or literature class. I think a writing class would have a higher demand for adult/community education.
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
You'd be a real asset to the community to offer such a class, Katarain. Check around...if you have a community college, they're almost certain to know what city or county department organizes community education opportunities. And if I remember right, they're *always* looking for qualified teachers to teach interesting, community enhancing subjects.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.