FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New column: Coming soon, again, on The Simpsons

Author Topic: New column: Coming soon, again, on The Simpsons
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Coming soon, again, on The Simpsons

Hidely ho, neighborinos! FOX has announced that the animated prime time show The Simpsons has been renewed for two more seasons, providing us with many more hilarious episodes of America's favorite family that are guaranteed to be just as edgy and radical as they have been for the last 17 years.

In fact, I've managed -- through means I can't really discuss because I haven't made them up yet -- to find out the detailed plans for the next two seasons. And they're even more wild and innovative than they've ever been before! Just look at the ground-breaking, never-before-seen episodes you can look forward to:

Homer becomes obsessed with whatever pop culture fad is hot at the time and takes it to a ridiculous extreme, dragging along the citizens of Springfield until it all crashes down on him.

Bart's classroom prank goes too far and he gets kicked out of school.

Lisa learns a valuable lesson about peer pressure and individuality.

Homer meets a celebrity and ruins his, her, or their lives while trying too hard to be friends. Wackiness ensues.

Marge starts a successful new career as something until Homer ruins it.

Lisa learns a valuable lesson about the environment.

More...

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
Funny, and yet oh so true.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
How many times has this show jumped the shark?

Cmon, die already. [Smile]

Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
When did it first jump the shark? Does Matt Groening even watch the show? If so, why doesn't he do something about the downhill slide?

I'm not really sure when it first jumped the shark.

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And they'll still be funnier than most of what's on television.
True. :-|
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Seatarsprayan
Member # 7634

- posted      Profile for Seatarsprayan   Email Seatarsprayan         Edit/Delete Post 
It's Kodos, not Kronos.
Posts: 454 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm not really sure when it first jumped the shark.
Season 7. Although a VERY strong argument can be made that it wasn't irreversible until the Jockey Elves episode.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
That was pretty funny. Speaking of permanent changes to the Simpsons characters, have we heard anything about Patty's lesbianism or Selma's adopted Chinese baby since the episodes that established them?
Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
When they decide to pull the plug, how should they do it? Does Homer's ineptitude finally caus the reactor core to melt, obliterating the town in a mushroom cloud?

How do the end it?

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Derrell:
When did it first jump the shark?

At the moment when it was decreed that the erstwhile Principal Skinner would always be Principal Skinner, and that nobody was ever to mention "Armin Tamzarian" ever again.
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Season 7 you say Tom?
My favorite episode ever was "You Only Move Twice" featuring Hank Sporpio, and a quick check shows that it was in season 8. Not sure what the rest of that season was like though. (I've seen most every episode that wasn't made in the last few seasons, but I don't know what seasons each episode was in).

I agree that the jockie elves episode represents everything that went bad about the Simpsons.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Just because a show has jumped the shark doesn't mean it can't still produce good individual episodes. I love "You Only Move Twice," too -- but I think you can see in that episode almost everything (minus a blatantly obvious guest star appearance) that would later drag the show into a rut. In this case, they got lucky; in later seasons, using the same formula, they'd strike out.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinky
Member # 9161

- posted      Profile for Pinky   Email Pinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't it Kronos AND Kodos?
Posts: 262 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

No. It's Kang and Kodos.
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Just because a show has jumped the shark doesn't mean it can't still produce good individual episodes.

Indeed. "Behind the Laughter" (season 11) is probably my favorite episode ever. It's also a spot-on critique of the show's own weaknesses.
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
The producers have replaced the Simpsons with live actors due to absurdly high salary demands from the cartoon family.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
The amazing thing about this article for me was the reminder that the Simpsons has been on for 17 years. I haven't really watched the last few seasons, but that means I started watching this show when I was eleven, and it's still on. Wow.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, it means you're old.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
You young whippersnappers! Why, when I was your age we didn't even have The Simpsons! And when they did finally show up, we had to watch them as only little shorts on the Tracy Ullman Show!

Get off my lawn!

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.