FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "Lost" - spoilers PLEASE...

Author Topic: "Lost" - spoilers PLEASE...
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
We're about 6 weeks into the second season of "Lost" in New Zealand. I have to admit I stopped watching the first series about halfway through, but decided to pick up again when the 2nd series started here. Am enjoying it.
BUT, I have a question: Did the giant tree-shaking "thing" in the first part of series 1 ever get revealed/resolved? I'm talking about the thing that snatched the pilot out of the wrecked cockpit when the survivors found the front section of the plane early in the show, and the thing that Lock stumbled onto emerging from the trees and gazed up at that looked like it was about 20 feet high, although we didn't see it, only its view of Lock. Do we know what it is/was, is it still around, what?
Thanks in anticipation...

Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I personally "Lost" much of my interest in the series, but I've been keeping abreast of it through this thread.

Also, this thread and this thread have some discussion about the series in general.

(The search feature is your friend!)

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

Thanks. The problem with searching for information is that because I'm behind where the US is in relaton to what stage of the series we're at if I search for info I'll find stuff that hasn't happened where I'm watching and mess up my enjoyment of the show.
It's the same reason I can't read any of the "24" posts, as much as I love the show: we haven't even started the latest series of that here.
So I have to avoid any internet sites on Lost for that reason.

Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, it hasn't been resolved.
Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

Thanks. [Smile] Any further "manifestations"?
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
lol. You asked for spoilers ... [Razz]
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
Ummm, how much information do you want? It's not so much a "monster" as we (at least I) were led to believe. We don't really know what it is, although there are a lot of theories. Does that answer what you want to know?
Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

I'm really asking, what'd I miss about the "monster" in the second half of the first series. I'm quite happy to wait for more to come in the second series, if there is more to come that is. I'm just wondering if I missed any more about it from series 1.
Cashew
Member # 6023

And what are the theories? If there was awebsite I could check out that wouldn't give away stuff fom series 2 I'd be happy to check it out. But as I said above, I want to avoid spoliers for what I haven't seen yet.
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing obvious. Like baboo says, there are lots of theories (my pet one is that lots of the weird occurances on the island, including the monster, are due to Walt's psychic energy), but nothing obvert has happened as far as the monster goes.
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Here are summaries of all the season one episodes, and here is a message board where people discuss theories about the plots. You might get spoilers for new episodes, though, so be careful.
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
It may be that the little cloud of what looks like nanites is connected to the monster. Then again, it may be that it isn't.

Everything we "know" boils down to what we think we know. We "knew" that there were these folks called The Others, who were like mountain men. Barbarians living in the woods. Turns out that they're nothing of the sort, but disguise themselves as barbarians in the woods for some reason that's still unrevealed.

We've learned stuff about the various characters through flashbacks. We learned that Kate Austin is a stone killer who blew up her step-daddy when she found out he was her real daddy. We found out that her real daddy, who wasn't really her daddy at all, was in Iraq during the first Gulf War, and was responsible for getting Sayid to learn the useful trade of torturer. We learned that Jack let Shannon's father die on the table when he got into an accident with the woman Jack cured of an incurable spinal injury and later married. We learned that Locke's father and Sawyer both have a habit of conning people with the catch phrase "Oops. You weren't supposed to see that." We learned that either they screwed up in the prop department, or Jack's wife left him in September 2005 (a year after the show started). We learned that Hurley and Locke have both worked for the same jerk named Randy, and that Hurley actually owned the box company Locke worked for.

We have three Lostaways with speaking parts who have had no flashbacks at all, which is highly suspicious. One is Rose, who we met in the first episode, and the other two are her husband Bernard and a pshrink named Libby (both of whom are technically Tailaways, rather than Lostaways, but as Spock was wont to say, "A difference which makes no difference is no difference.")

We found out that this guy Desmond, who may have had something to do with Jack's miracle cure of his wife-to-be, had been living in a bunker on the island throughout the first season, and what connection this might have with Locke's miraculous regaining of his ability to walk has yet to be revealed, although rumor has it that he's going to spend most of the rest of this season on crutches, so maybe Desmond giveth and Desmond taketh away.

Anyway, what Locke was looking at might well have been the black cloud of nanites that we finally got to see close up this season, but we don't really know. We don't know why there was a polar bear on the island or why compasses don't work properly on the island, but both suggest something screwy with the Earth's electromagnetic field.

Oh, we found out that Walt was a little psychic even before he landed on the island, and that Sawyer desperately wants to be hated. That Sun and Jin were a fairy-tale romance of a wealthy heiress and an earnest young fisherboy. That Ana Lucia got shot in her belly when she was pregnant and blew the perp away without hesitation when she found him later on. That Michael was married to la belle dame sans merci, of sorts, and that Charlie did diaper commercials in diapers (as an adult).

And they've been dumping reveals on us at a much faster rate lately than they had been previously, but it hasn't made much of a difference, because they've muddied the waters so much that even the reveals are likely not what they seem to be.

If it were up to me, I'd put Damon Lindelof and Sayid Jarrah in a room together and let them "talk" until Sayid managed to convince Damon to explain what the hell is going on.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
So you think Damon (that's the guy locked in the room right?) is one of the others?
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

starLisa: WOW! I missed all of that?! Makes me mad I conked out before the end of the 1st series.
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
No, a lot of that is from the second season.
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Jay, Damon Lindelof is the guy who runs the series. The guy in the room is Dorothy's Uncle Henry.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.