FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hey Choobak!(and anyone else who's been in France recently)

Author Topic: Hey Choobak!(and anyone else who's been in France recently)
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a french-related dilemma.

My school holds something annually called "Market Day." It's a day where the French and SPanish kids all go to the gym and... well, it's kind of hard to explain. THe gym is split into two halves- France and Spain. THere is a border with patrol, and things like that. THere is a law in place that says you cannot speak English the entire day- if you do, you'll get arrested and sent to jail or have to pay a fine(in fake euros. there are also other rules, like "no running", that are enforced in the same manner). Each level of French or Spanish has a sepcific job to do. Here's the breakdown:

French 1: shoppers. they are only in "Le Marche" for one period of the day, and they have sepcific things they have to buy. example: "You're going to a party. Buy food, drink, gifts, and supplies for games." The amount of money they get is based on their grade.

French 2: Store owners. In my opinion, the most fun of all the jobs. You build a store, create a name, commercial, and products to sell. You advertize, wear costumes, things like that.

French 3: These guys have a variety of jobs to choose from. THey run a REAL cafe(the only place that's allowed to serve real food), provide entertainment(puppet shows and things like that on a stage), do border patrol(you have to have a passport to cross into France or Spain), and other things like that.

French 4: I take back my previous statement, French 4 has the best job. THey're the police. THey get to arrest and fine people for speaking english, running, chewing gum, having food outside the cafe, stealing, not having anyone in their store, and other things.

That's the basic breakdown. However, we've run into a problem.

I am in the first ever class of French 5. Obviously, since there's never been a French 5(except for the occasional student who moved in from another school and had already taken French, who served as Judge at le marche), there has never been a job for a French 5 class. We've brainstormed, and we think we've come up with something. We're opening a club.

We're going to play French music, have strobe lights, things like that. A dance club. Now here's where you French people come in.

What kind of music is played in France? WHat's the dance music like? WHat's popular? How are clubs decorated? I'd really appreciate your input.

(and I apologize for some much explination for a simple question)

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What kind of music is played in France?
American.
Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
French rap is a very funny thing.
Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
So the levels of society as decided by high school French classes:

Consumers
Merchants
Bureaucracy
Law Enforcement
Dance!

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
What, that isn't normal societal structure?

I'm afraid I can't be of any help. I didn't go to any clubs in Paris, only pubs (which are more like restaurants - kids welcomed etc). And the one we frequented was called Le Recruitment and was sport themed. Served a mean duck confit though. And Leffe on tap.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
My friend Lauren once sent me a CD of "dirty" French songs (she sent it to me because it had two cartoon pigs on the cover, and she knows I love pigs). It's really funny... I have no idea what half of it says, because they sing it really fast, and I didn't really learn the dirty stuff in French class. [Razz] But it's fun dance/pop music. I imagine they'd play something similar to it, but I'm not sure.

This, the pink one, is what she sent me... I don't know if that's a help at all, but that's about all I know. [Smile]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xxsockeh
Member # 9186

- posted      Profile for xxsockeh   Email xxsockeh         Edit/Delete Post 
Um...in French class the other day, Madame played a song called "Aime-moi". It was slow, and the name means "Love me", but it was still pretty cool. Now I'm gonna have it stuck in my head for ages though. [Frown]
Posts: 63 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.