FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Marvel Adventures: The Avengers

Author Topic: Marvel Adventures: The Avengers
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Marvel Age (AKA Marvel Adventures), the "all-ages" branch of Marvel comics (sort of sad that they need a separate line of comics actually aimed at kids, eh?) is coming out with its own "Avengers" title. It has a line-up that makes about as much sense as the line-up in the current "New Avengers" title of the "main" Marvel line. That is, some choices do work, others don't.

*Captain America: Yeah, he fits. If he's not in a period piece, the Avengers is about the only place a character like him works.

*Iron Man: Movie in the works, and the team needs a Smart Science Guy

*Spider-Man: Box office smash character. Plus, he at least was an reserve Avenger for years before joining full-time. And the team needs a Smart Science G*...er, they need a Quipper.

*Wolverine: *sigh* Because Wolverine -must- appear in every Marvel team book, even if only as a regular guest star. It's a rule.

*Storm: "Hmmmm. This 'Thor' character is yet another white male. Isn't there a black character with a sort of similar power set? Oooh, wait! This one is not only black, she's female! Sure, most kids know that character as the lamest hero in the X-films, but we'll use her anyway."

*The Hulk: I guess it depends on which version of the Hulk they're using. Still, he's never really been a team character, despite his association with the Avengers and the Defenders.

*Giant-Girl: "We want another female character, yet we want a character that's not currently a crazy villain. So the Scarlet Witch is out. Carol Danvers? Too obscure. Monica Rambeau? We already have a black heroine. Hmmm. Yet still, we would prefer one with an Avengers-esque connection. Hmmm. Wait a minute...why not combine this 'Giant-Man' character with this 'Wasp' character into ONE HERO?!? It's -brilliant-."

Oh, well. It'll still probably be better than the 1999 "Avengers" cartoon series. [Wink]

[ February 18, 2006, 08:25 PM: Message edited by: Puffy Treat ]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shepherd
Member # 7380

- posted      Profile for Shepherd           Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the sean connery movie.

*hides in shame*

Posts: 242 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
Shepherd - don't hide. Be proud. You are one of a kind. You are unique. No-one else in the entire world liked that movie.

Did they? *looks around, suddenly paranoid*

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I really need to check out the UK "Avengers" TV series.

Is it on DVD?

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
The ones featuring DianaRigg can be found in a complete boxed set. And the best episodes were in black&white, before it became self-conciously campy like the 60's Batman live-action tv show.

Then Riggs was kicked off by executives after ABC's purchase of the series, and the series tanked trying to be "cool" and campy.
Which is why The Avengers movie was so disappointing to most fans: it was based on the "hip" Americanized version rather than the surrealistic British vision.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey who would win in a fight between Wolverine, Spider-Man, and the Hulk?

(my moneys on the Hulk [Evil] )

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Back before he became ultra-super-mega-popular, Wolverine would have lost.

Now?

He -always- wins. No matter what.

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
As a matter of fact, Hulk pasted Wolverine's ass but good when they were up in the Canadian Rockies.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Which was back before his healing factor became overpowered to the point that Logan survived entering the Sun. [Eek!]
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. He did this when?!

Not that it matters, the Hulk just gets stronger as the fight progresses, so Wolverine would get his but kicked, but probobly survive to fight another day. And don't count spidy out so quickly, after all he has brains.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Near the tail-end of Grant Morrison's X-Men run. Jean Grey and Logan were trapped by Magneto on Asteroid M and sent hurling into the Sun. Jean survived by becoming Phoenix, Logan survived by his healing factor (and Jean flying them both away from the Sun).

[ February 18, 2006, 11:14 PM: Message edited by: Puffy Treat ]

Advent 115
Member # 8914

(Joey voice) Whoa! Man, that is just.... man that had to hurt like hell! But he would still get his ass kicked, but survive the encounter.

Hmmm, we should take bets on this fight..... [Evil]

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Actually Puffy, this was no more than a couple of years ago. I don't know if you read the comic I'm talking about. It's called "Hulk vs. Wolverine" (big shocker there), and Logan is up in the Rockies for some alone time while Bruce Banner is eluding authorities on a small plane which carries a teenage boy visiting his father who's been bitten by a poisonous snake, and two drug smugglers who have to make a rendezvous to keep the money they've stolen.

The kid starts getting sick (he thought it was his non-poisonous snake that had bitten him), and Banner doens't want the two drug runners to stop the plane-they try and stop him, he Hulks out, plane crashes, Wolverine gets involved.

Banner has to Hulk out again in order for a blood transfusion to save the kid's life, and in the process Wolverine and the Hulk fight. Wolverine scratches up Hulk pretty good, but the Hulk has Wolverine unconcious and at his mercy about to start whaling on him when the kid calls out to them, all better, and the fight ends.

I vaguely remember this Asteroid M stuff, but not when it happened.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Hmmm. The last comic I read with the title "Hulk versus Wolverine" had the hulk rip Wolverine in half...literally.

And Logan survived.

Doesn't that seem a -tad- overpowered, even for Healing Factor Guy?

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

I've never read that one. You mean Wolverine is actually seperated? Wtf does he do, grow back his lower (or upper, even) body?

I liked Ultimate Sabertooth's approach to Logan: drown him, and he can't heal back from an oxygen-starved brain.

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

One of my favorite pieces of fan art years ago had Iron Man fly up into orbit, then turn the full force of his Repulsor Beams onto the X-Mansion.

Tony: "Heal this, Wolverine!"

And yeah. His trunk (eventually) grew new limbs. [Razz]

Human
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Human   Email Human         Edit/Delete Post 
....but shouldn't the new arms be un-adamantium-coated?
Posts: 3658 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
There was a time when Wolverine didn't have adamentium - Magneto had sucked it all out. The same guy that put it in him originally eventually did it to him again.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
What happens if you chop his head off? Would his body grow a new head or his head a new body? Or both(asexual reproduction)?

In X2 when Wolverine was fighting the metallic lady with healing powers like himself, my friend and I were both rooting for one of them to get their heads chopped off, since it seemed like the only way one of them could die.

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Oh, so he 'just' had his arms and legs ripped off? That's a bit different...I suppose that given time to heal, it's not too unreasonable for a mutant with a healing factor.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.