FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Okay I want to open a online radio Tom help me here

Author Topic: Okay I want to open a online radio Tom help me here
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Okay I wanna get a folder put my favorite music in it and have it so that people can connect to my ip via WMP and listen how does one do this? Or does it take up too much bandwith?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
You're asking for trouble if you share copyrighted material in this way. You could be slapped with a very hefty lawsuit, at least here in the US. (I don't know how this will differ in Canada).
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Oh it differs, like they're are SOME laws but they're never enforced to speak of. Like I know in one college there's a club that watched movies, and this is a group with 15+ people. But the school technically frowns on it but turns a blind eye in practice.
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Not really the same thing. Noncommercial viewing by smallish groups has almost never been an issue for the copyright owners. Internet sharing, on the other hand, is much more heavily enforced.

I'm not exactly sure what the rules are, but I know that some use of copyrighted music is allowed when doing internet radio. For example, I heard somewhere that you can only play the same artist twice in a two hour period, but this is a US rule, so I'm not sure what they would be for you.

I don't really know anything about what sort of software is needed, but I do know that sharing copyrighted songs over a broadcast is not necessarily a problem. Just make sure that you check the rules before starting this up.

As far as bandwidth goes, I honestly have no idea. However, I would imagine that it could get very high if you transmitted with any kind of quality.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne: I suspect that college, like most colleges, has a site license from all the major movie copyright licensors that allows such viewing.

If you're doing internet radio, its perfectly legal to use most music . . . if you pay certain compulsory licensing fees. If that's the avenue you want to go, just let me know.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

ahem.... the club was watching anime, not even personally bought anime, anime either A) bootlegged off the net or B) gotten from Chinatown hehe.

Aside from that *bump* I know TomDavison would know what to do.

*sings "what would Brian O'Conor do"*

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Then it probably wasn't actually legal, Blayne.

----

While what you're wanting to do is technically very easy, I should warn you that it's against the law in several countries -- including your own -- and could result in enormous fines unless you actually pursued obtaining the appropriate licensing. That licensing, however, is not inexpensive.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Actually the music I wish to broadcast should be copyrighted considering that the country in question nolonger exists namely *cough* the Soviet Union */cough* and the music itself made before I think anyone of us were born.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
If you can verify that -- that it's no longer copyrighted anywhere, NOT that it's just old and Soviet -- let me know and I'll recommend a few options. Are you planning to use your home computer as your server?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

possibly my home computer, I wanna check how much of my bandwith it'll probly soak up first just to see if it works, for practice since I'm taking computer science, I'll ask my Hoi2 friend who has all my Russian music availiable on his website for free I think he'll know.

Also, he doesnt disregard copyright, I know he took the theme for "A Bridge Too Far" off when he found its copyright holder.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.