FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A Lego Computer

Author Topic: A Lego Computer
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
Somebody's built a difference engine computer using legos.

I don't undertand the math behind it, but it looks cool...

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome. [Big Grin]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

- posted      Profile for smitty   Email smitty         Edit/Delete Post 
That difference math thing is pretty sweet! How come I didn't learn that in my umpteen math classes? I feel cheated!
Posts: 880 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
87.6% of the cool stuff isn't taught in classes.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I haven't seen anything that cool made out of legos since the last time I saw the picture of the fullscale lego nuclear bomb model of the "little boy".
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mistaben
Member # 8721

- posted      Profile for mistaben           Edit/Delete Post 
That's amazing.

But not quite as amazing as the Lego transistor I was hoping to see...

Posts: 105 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that is truly amazing. I am impressed. I wonder, though : How does this work for non-integer values of the polynomial argument? I was under the impression that Babbage's engine would be able to handle such things also. And units are rather large steps if you're going for interpolation.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How does this work for non-integer values of the polynomial argument? I was under the impression that Babbage's engine would be able to handle such things also. And units are rather large steps if you're going for interpolation.
It works to 3 or 4 digits. I don't see any reason the lowest order digit has to be the unit digit. It could easily be non-integer values - tenths, hundredths, and thousandths, for instance.

With only 3 or 4 digits it's not that practical, but it is cool.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, you're right, I see now.

Incidentally, is there any particular reason you stopped posting in the 'Speaking of intelligent design' thread? I thought we were having an extremely interesting discussion.

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome.

quote:
87.6% of the cool stuff isn't taught in classes.
They definately need to make classes that teach the cool stuff.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Incidentally, is there any particular reason you stopped posting in the 'Speaking of intelligent design' thread? I thought we were having an extremely interesting discussion.
I haven't had time to formulate my thoughts on that subject. Right now I'm just popping in for a few minutes at a time, and that's a topic that requires careful writing.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.