FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Questions for Hatrack gardeners

Author Topic: Questions for Hatrack gardeners
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
I am currently working in a Biology lab where we have to come up with and perform our own scientific experiment. My group has decided to determine whether potting soil or regular ground soil is better for growing plants (I know. Not much of an experiment. I'm an English major, and this is a first-year biology class.). At any rate, we're planning on growing two different types of plants for about 7 weeks to see which type of soil produces better results. I've been digging around for good plants to use, but I'm not finding much. So does anyone know of some plants that are very easy to maintain, that can grow indoors, and can grow from seeds in 7 weeks?
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Boris,
Coleus works very well indoors from seed. It grows quickly. It is a standard n many preschool "gardens."

Will you have good lighting, or will you be relying on filtered sunlight? That makes a huge difference. If natural light, through a window, I would say go with the coleus.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom used beans a lot in her science classroom. They sprout quickly and easily and grow pretty fast. You can also use dried beans from the grocery store rather than seed packets if your budget is tight. You just might get a slightly lower sprouting rate, although all of the grocery beans I've used have been near 100%.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

Thanks a bunch [Smile] The beans sound great, I'll see if I can find Coleus around here or on the internet.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought grass was a good idea, but I don't know what kind of "plants" you want.
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I should add that beans don't generally take that well to transplanting, so if you use them be sure to plant them in their final container from the beginning.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Radishes were the standard when I was in elementary school, since they mature in a matter of weeks.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

That's true. If one of the "better results" you want to look at is the flavor of the crop, radishes are a good choice. However, and this is probably just because I live in Arizona, we've had far greater luck growing beans than radishes. Beans seem to have a much higher sprouting rate, at least for us.

--Mel

Boris
Member # 6935

We're mainly measuring growth rate. Flavor is a little harder to quantify, which is very important in this particular class. Radishes might be a good idea, though, since Idaho dirt is known for it's ability to grow quality root-type vegetables. Shouldn't be too hard to find, either.
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
How big are your containers? If they're not too big (say, each cell is less than 1" x 1" x 2") then radishes are best. A seven-week old bean plant will grow to be 12-18" tall, and its roots would probably get frustrated in too small of a container.
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a gardening question too, as long as there's a thread with that title. Last summer I planted a garden of entirely nightshade plants, bell peppers and tomatoes. I read that you shouldn't grow nightshades in the same soil twice in a row, so what else should I plant for the spring growing season to get the soil back in balance so I can grow more tomatoes and peppers this summer?
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
There's two different things going on when folks say not to play crops in the same place twice in a row. One is that different crops take different nutrients out of the soil, and so you'll have a healthier soil if you grow a variety of crops.

The other thing is that you avoid a lot of bug and disease trouble by rotating your crops. If possible, it's a good idea to avoid planting the same crop in the same place for four years. (But this is kinda hard, and in practice many folks will just try to avoid back-to-back plantings of the same crop.)

Anyway... on a home garden scale, bugs and diseases are usually less of a problem. But if you had any bugs munching on your tomatoes last year (such as the dreaded blister beetle), it might be a good idea to have your tomatoes in a different place this year, because the next generation of blister beetles will emerge where last year's tomato crop was.

Getting more specifically to your question, Stray -- anything that's not in the nightshade family (tomatoes, tomatillos, peppers, eggplants, potatoes) should be fine as a spring crop. Since you'll probably want to get tomatoes and peppers in by -- letsee, late May in your area? -- short-term crops such as lettuce, radishes, spinach, etc. are probably best.

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

I'm assuming that you live where spring is a cool season. Peas are a good choice for cool season legumes. I like Sugar Snaps or Snow peas, because the entire pod is edible. You can also get shelling peas. You should plant legumes at least every other year, more if your gardening is more intensive.

Other cool season crops are the various cabbages: radishes, broccoli (although it's too late for broccoli this year unless you do transplants), cabbage, kohlrabi, brussels sprouts, etc. You can also do lettuce or spinach.

If this is something you're planning on doing every year, you might want to split your garden in half so that each half is planted with nightshade plants every other summer. You could plant corn or other non-nightshade summer plants in the other half. This will help keep nightshade specific diseases from building up in the soil.

--Mel

Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool, I'll probably do spinach, lettuce, and peas, then--I like all of those. Thanks for the advice!
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

quote:
Originally posted by plaid:
How big are your containers? If they're not too big (say, each cell is less than 1" x 1" x 2") then radishes are best. A seven-week old bean plant will grow to be 12-18" tall, and its roots would probably get frustrated in too small of a container.

I was actually thinking of using styrofoam cups for this. Do you think beans would work well in something that size?
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you thought about using various herbs perhaps? I know they grow like weeds (well, they are weeds I suppose, so go figure)? Organo, Dill, and Sage are three that can grow at a fairly impressive clip from seeds (not to mention germinating in a matter of hours).

I think Lima beans were the pant of choice at my elementary school, though my memory maybe faltering on this one.

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.