FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » because I am feeling snarky and don't like deleted posts (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: because I am feeling snarky and don't like deleted posts
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
It annoys me when someone deletes a thread because they don't like the replies. When someone does it 3 times with the same post it goes a bit beyond annoyance, so I decided to bring the latest version back.

Reticulum:
It seems in the enderverse life is pretty consistent in evolution, on all of the worlds. The Birds on both Lusitania and Earth, along with snakes, grass, and trees. Bugs appeared in both Earth, and where the buggers came from. Humans and piggies are enough alike.

So, it would seem likely that some sort of early human may have evolved along with the Buggers, or early version of one. This would mean that the Buggers may remeber. The Hive queen would not have told ender this, as it would not be important to the Buggers.

Rivka:
Dude.

If you keep deleting your threads when they get responses you don't like, you will stop getting much in the way of replies.

Sheesh.

quidscribis:
Oh really.

Well, that would explain where those four or six replies went, including his own.

quidscribis:
The duplicate thread from the other side has also been deleted.

Lupus
Lol, I was wondering about that...I thought it was odd that the thread still seemed to be there, but it didn't have replies anymore.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

btw, if you remember your replies from other versions...feel free to add them back. I'll not be deleting this one.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
My reply from the original on this side was something to the effect of "You should create another thread just like this one on the other side of the river!"
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
My reply was that anything that evolved on the formic homeworld would not be protohumans, just like termines on earth are not protoformics.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Seeing as we know so little about the bugger homeworld, this would be difficult, at best, to answer.

Anyone remember any geological descriptions?

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wow, what I meaningful topic.
I hope you're not insinuating that the many, many topics you start are 'meaningful'. Cause I'm not buying it.

Reticulum pulled a similar trick a week ago, and was called on it then, too. Twice. (it was his 'A project only Hatrack can achieve', or something like that)

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
Hatrack is not a personal playground, for anyone. Even the 'elders.'
Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
:swings on his own personal Hatrack-branded jungle gym:

Speak for yourself, swampy.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott has a point Swampjedi... He even stole a bicycle from my yard to make that jungle gym.
Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

Well, um...what's that over there???

<cuts chains on Scott's swing>
<runs away>

Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there any set decorum for deleting threads? Cuz it annoys the heck out of me also. I usually spend about 5 minutes searching for whatever thread, because I have been known to simply overlook things, only to have it all done in vain. Maybe there should be a thread delete justification thread, where whenever someone deletes a thread, they (out of courtesy and politeness to the rest of us) post the reason in that thread. Hey, thats actually not a bad idea. Not that I'll implement it, but I just thought I'd throw it out there.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
I made a comment about Reticulum's Sarcasm meter.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
If you intend to delete a thread or possibly delete a thread soon after making it, it's customary to put "mayfly" in the title. If you decide you don't like where a thread has gone or feel bad about posting it and wish to delete it, it would be polite to post the reason why, put a warning in the title, and give everyone a few minutes to see it before doing it.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I don't think that because the topic starter doesn't like the thread direction is enough of a reason to delete it. Once you start a thread you have no more control than anyone else which direction it goes. I know some people don't like that, but c'est la vie.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it would be a good idea if posters were only allowed to delete their own individual posts.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Actually, I don't think that because the topic starter doesn't like the thread direction is enough of a reason to delete it. Once you start a thread you have no more control than anyone else which direction it goes. I know some people don't like that, but c'est la vie.
I agree, but there are some threads that maybe should not have been started to begin with, and inevitably turn in a very bad direction, very fast.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

But that's why there are moderators. It's up to them to decide whether the thread should live or die. If you start a thread and don't like where it's going then stop posting in it, or flag it and let PJ decide.

I don't believe anyone (except the mod/admin) has the right to delete anyone else's posts.

TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't we have it set up that way once? Where threads couldn't be deleted after a certain amount of time? I remember complaints about that, too.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

But it's easier on the mod not to have to delete multiples, etc. I think we all just need to use it responsibly.
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I'd rather keep things set the way they are. If you don't like the way someone is handling the deletion of their topics, then say something to them and if necessary, stay out of their threads. If people are really against what someone is doing, then sooner or later they are going to catch on.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
On the thread on the other side, I made a comment about how he should really limit himself to just one thread and not post on both sides.

I'm going to add a comment about Reticulum bumping his own threads. Repeatedly. And irritatingly. And in many of his threads. Seriously, Reticulum, if people are interested in your thread, they'll respond. It really isn't necessary to bump them five or six times.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I deleted a thread I started once, but it was because I got carried away, and made comments with information in them that wasn't mine to share. Then, I was quoted in several other posts, so just deleting my post wouldn't be sufficient.

I did tell everyone I was going to delete it and I apologized. I agree, it's pretty bad form to delete other people's posts. And to delete a thread if you don't like where it's going - heck, you just gotta grow thicker skin. This is Hatrack. Not a preschool playground.

Even considering Scott's playground equipment.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I'm new so I just don't understand what's going on, but did the thread get deleted again? Reticulum, what happened?
Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

Well, since the thread as deleted for the 3rd time, I'll post my response here...because I think it was important to explain why people posted like that in the 3rd thread:

quote:
Originally posted by Reticulum:
I won't. Or ever will. I will never have a serious response to this. Which is actually quite sad, because it is do to the immaturity of others.

What is unfortunate is that you don't seem to realize the reason for the response. Perhaps we carried it a bit far, but it was for a reason. At hatrack the owners/mods run the site with a very light touch. For the most part they let the members work things out. Because of that, when people act outside expected behavior on the site, they don't get banned or have their posts deleted (unless they go way past the line) they face the members of the community. Since we don't have 'official' powers we only have our posting ability to show someone when they have crossed the line.

At hatrack it is generally unacceptable to delete a thread with replies (unless you had warned people that it was a mayfly). There are exceptions, Belle mentioned one (where information that was not hers to share was released). You on the other hand have used it to manipulate conversations. This is not the first time you have done it, and it is not the first time you have been called on it. In addition, you have frequently bumped your own threads in order to push conversation.

People don't like being manipulated. If your topics don't get the responses you want, maybe there is a reason for that. Perhaps you are not quite as insightful as you think and your topics are simply not that thrilling. Or maybe we are a bunch of morons that don't understand you. Or it might just be that your opinions of what is important doesn't mesh well with what most the posters here find important. A simple incompatibility.

Whatever the reason, your behavior didn't fit with what was expected in this community, and so you were told what was expected. You ignored it and kept manipulating your threads, so you were told in a less kind way. If you keep doing it, the response will be similar. Worse, you will likely find that you won't get responses to threads that might normally be interesting to people here on the 'Rack. Or you could decide to stop bumping your threads and stop deleting threads until you can force the conversation in your desired direction. This would likely lead to your becoming a real member of the community. People won't treat you like a god and form their conversations exactly how you wish them (but we don't do that for OSC, so you shouldn't feel bad about that), but we will provide a good place for you to hang out and have some interesting conversations.

Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
*sigh*

I had typed up a great, 12,000-word piece of Brainy/Digger fanfic, and hit "Submit" and get . . . nothing. *sigh*

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup. Promises, promises.

You know, I was teaching my son the meaning of the word "trustworthy" the other day, and how if you've lost someone's trust, then even when you're telling the truth, they'll tend to not believe you. People judge others based on what they know of that person's past behavior. And most often, they judge correctly. [Smile]

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
*sigh*

I had typed up a great, 12,000-word piece of Brainy/Digger fanfic, and hit "Submit" and get . . . nothing. *sigh*

were there smurfs in it?
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
You bet!

EDIT: Grr . . . stupid image redirects . . .

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

man, It would have been some story.

Hmm...maybe the buggers and the smurfs would have been allies. After all, the buggers have the hive queen and the smurfs have smurfett

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Did Ret delete his thread AGAIN after swearing up and down, on his word, that he would not do so?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
He lied!
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

And he got all indignant when people didn't believe him.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
He hasn't recreated it though, so at least that's something.

Actually, I haven't seen him around this morning. Maybe he took his ball and went home.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

But it wasn't his ball. [Cry]
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

Back to the playground metaphor again? [Wink]
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Better that than an onanisim one..... [Wink]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

Why didn't I see that coming?
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like he deleted his comments in this thread, too.
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Every time a thread gets deleted, a philote is destroyed.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Looks like he deleted his comments in this thread, too.
That explains why I couldn't figure out who/what El JT de Spang was quoting....
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of lost topics, what happened to the one about Garfield?
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Oh, yeah, that was his original post in this thread. Which has since gone off to the post graveyard, it seems.
clod
Member # 9084

- posted      Profile for clod   Email clod         Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to pose a question. My question is thus:

If I had a giant toaster and could serve you breakfast (quickly, without dither & drather, no mincing, no menacing, nadda, kaput!)

What would you request? Remember: I only have a toaster.

Posts: 351 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe he decided to (at least temporarily) leave Hatrack and take all of his threads and posts with him.

As for the toaster, I'd be perfectly set with creamy peanut butter and strawberry jam on plain toast.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
DANGIT, now I want toast.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by clod:

If I had a giant toaster and could serve you breakfast...What would you request?

Could I have French Toast? Or else those frozen waffles with the chocolate chips in them. [Big Grin]

Served to me on a tray, in bed, with a single perfect rose in a cunning handmade bud vase. And I'd like some freshly squeezed grapefruit juice to go with that.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clod
Member # 9084

syrup or powdered sugar?

And, when you're done, I could use some help down in the woodshop.

Posts: 351 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by clod:
syrup or powdered sugar?

Neither. They get the sheets sticky.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clod
Member # 9084

Celaeno,

Your creamy peanut butter and strawberry jam are, indeed, set. I'm still waiting on the toaster. Please be patient.

clod
Member # 9084

quote:
Neither. They get the sheets sticky
*cleans up sheets. rubs-out stickiness*

And, now?

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.