FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Riddle Thread

Author Topic: Riddle Thread
Geekazoid99
Member # 8254

- posted      Profile for Geekazoid99   Email Geekazoid99         Edit/Delete Post 
List riddles people try to answer them list more riddles simple

first riddle
You have a double balence scale and 9 marbles all the same size but one wieghs more
how with only two weighings can you be certain which marble weighs more

Posts: 250 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

- posted      Profile for Reticulum           Edit/Delete Post 
All your base are belong to us.

What the hell does it mean?

Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
First find two that weigh the same by going through them and balancing them against each other (they're not gonna be hard to find 8 out of ten!). Then pick one and weigh the other seven against it until you find one that tips it.
Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh wait, I read it wrong.
Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geekazoid99
Member # 8254

- posted      Profile for Geekazoid99   Email Geekazoid99         Edit/Delete Post 
Reticulum is that bad grammer or the way its supposed to be
Posts: 250 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Trivial. If you have a set of three marbles, you can easily find out which is the heavy one : Take out one marble, and balance the other two. If the two are equal in weight, you know that the one you took out is heavier; otherwise you know which is heavier.

So then, apply this strategy to a larger scale : Take out three marbles from the set. Divide the remaining six into two sets of three, and balance those two. If one of those is heavier, you know which set of three contains the heavy marble, and proceed as above. If they are equal in weight, then the three you took out contain the heavier marble, and again proceed as before.

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geekazoid99
Member # 8254

Nice job KoM

NExt riddle from me
When does 6 * 9 = 42

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
In base 13.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
When Douglas Adams rules the universe.

Or when you're using base 13.

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Categorize the rest of the letters according to this scheme:

AM
BFGJKL
CDE
HI

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geekazoid99
Member # 8254

ok another one

a man walks into a resturant orders partridge takes one bite thens takes out a gun and shoots himself

Why?

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Because his friend didn't taste like partridge.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geekazoid99
Member # 8254

that makes no sence

oh yah you can ask me yes or no questions about the last one i put up

Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's one:

What's greater than God,
More evil than the Devil,
Poor people have it,
Rich people want it,
And if you eat it, you will die?

And another:

I have towns but no houses, rivers but no fish, and forests but no trees. What am I?

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
What's greater than God,
More evil than the Devil,
Poor people have it,
Rich people want it,
And if you eat it, you will die?

Nothing.

quote:
I have towns but no houses, rivers but no fish, and forests but no trees. What am I?
A map.

There are still two riddles on the floor. [Smile]

Reticulum
Member # 8776

- posted      Profile for Reticulum           Edit/Delete Post 
Money and synthetics?
Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geekazoid99
Member # 8254

for which one
Raventhief
Member # 9002

- posted      Profile for Raventhief   Email Raventhief         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Geekazoid, think about you're answer laterally, and MPH is right. I know that one.

Give me a turn and go where you will
Give me one more and you must stand still
I've no head or mouth or system of beliefs,
Yet I do all my work with my crooked teeth.

What am I?

Posts: 354 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
Give me a turn and go where you will
Give me one more and you must stand still
I've no head or mouth or system of beliefs,
Yet I do all my work with my crooked teeth.

A gear?

Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geekazoid99
Member # 8254

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:

sorry your right i read that wrong i thoght that said "because his friend didn't like that taste of partridge"

sorry

Dagonee
Member # 5818

So no one can sort the letters?
Dasa
Member # 8968

- posted      Profile for Dasa   Email Dasa         Edit/Delete Post 
Dagonee: Does it have anything to do with how the letters are laid out on the standard keyboard and which fingers are used to type them?
Posts: 107 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dasa
Member # 8968

Ok..that doesn't seem to work
Posts: 107 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Geekazoid99:
ok another one

a man walks into a resturant orders partridge takes one bite thens takes out a gun and shoots himself

Why?

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:

Could someone explain this to me?
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dasa
Member # 8968

Question #10 on this page is very similar.

Lateral Thinking

Link to answers is at the bottom of the page

genius00345
Member # 8206

- posted      Profile for genius00345   Email genius00345         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Categorize the rest of the letters according to this scheme:

AM
BFGJKL
CDE
HI

AMTUVWY
FGJKLNPQRZ
CDES [and B]
HIOX

It has to do with symmetry... top row has vertical, second row has none, third row has horizontal, fourth row both.

Except that B should be placed in the third row..., it has horizontal symmetry too.

Posts: 206 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
In many fonts, B has horizontal symmetry.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genius00345
Member # 8206

- posted      Profile for genius00345   Email genius00345         Edit/Delete Post 
That threw me off at first, but I looked at everything else and it worked, so I figured it was a mistake or typo...
Posts: 206 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I laid out the letters according to the font in the reply form, in which B has no horizontal line of symmetry.

See:

code:
B

Edit: The B in the main font doesn't have horizonatal symmetry, either. The top loop is shorter than the bottom by one pixel.
Raventhief
Member # 9002

- posted      Profile for Raventhief   Email Raventhief         Edit/Delete Post 
Mandy: no, but that's a good answer. The second line doesn't quite fit, but I like it.
Posts: 354 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

It's a key.
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's a key.

Ach, you beat me, Dagonee!

Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geekazoid99
Member # 8254

Here's another one:

you have a double balence scale scale and you need weights for it unfortunatly you only have enough money for 4 weights.
what size weights should you buy to weigh things from 1-40 all inclusive
(unit doesn't matter)

dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
1, 3, 9, 27
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genius00345
Member # 8206

Ah, Dagonee, I see. But in general, I would place it with horizontal symmetry...
Geekazoid99
Member # 8254

quote:
Originally posted by dantesparadigm:
1, 3, 9, 27

Correct but can you explain why it is like this
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
1 x 3 = 3
3 x 3 = 9
9 x 3 = 27

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geekazoid99
Member # 8254

Good now another one

double scale 12 marbles ones different either heavier or lighter but we don't know which
in only three weighings figure out which ones different and wether it's heavier or lighter

Come on i need other people to post riddles

Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
"I always lie" [Razz]

Edit: these riddles are just too hard.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.