FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ordering A Free Copy of the Book of Mormon Online

Author Topic: Ordering A Free Copy of the Book of Mormon Online
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
On this website , they have an offer to order a copy of the Book of Mormon. A free copy.

If I do this will I get visited by door to door people? Will I get a lot of e-mails? Or normal mail? Will they pester me about converting?

I'm not sure if I'm going to or not. I just want to explore my options.

Or is it safe for me to go ahead and order my free copy of the Book of Mormon?

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
Missionaries will deliver the Book of Mormon to you. You don't have to see them again if you don't want to. I don't think it will be a situation of "pestering". Or I can send you one and I won't come visit you [Razz]
Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
They don't have to deliver it to you. When you fill out the thing, you can say you don't want to be visited. It just takes them 6 weeks or so to send out your free copy of the Book of Mormon. I know this though because this is how I got my copy. No pestering at all.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
On the website, I am given the option of having it delivered by missionaries. It says:

quote:
Representatives in your area would like to deliver your free Book of Mormon and explain how our loving God has revealed plain and precious truths of the gospel of Jesus Christ through a living prophet. They will help you to know that you are a child of God and that He has a plan of happiness for you and your family. Their visit will last just less than an hour. May we arrange to have representatives deliver your free Book of Mormon?
And I can select either "yes" or "no." Aside from this, will I recieve a ton of letters in the mail and a ton of e-mails?

Edit: Thank you, pfresh. Did you end up choosing this religion?

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
pfresh can probably answer this better since I've never done this, but I don't think you will receive any mail or e-mail.
Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

I never got any mail or e-mails from them (other than they sent me an e-mail once they sent out my copy saying they had sent it and listing a number I could call if I wanted to have missionaries come visit me at some point). As for did I end up choosing this religion, no, but then I'm still in a sort of religious nexus of indecision.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
enochville
Member # 8815

- posted      Profile for enochville   Email enochville         Edit/Delete Post 
Just so people know. You can read the entire Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, and Pearl of Great Price online here: http://scriptures.lds.org/
Posts: 264 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Yeah, you can also download the Book of Mormon in mp3 format online (somewhere on www.mormon.org). I listened to portions of the Book of Mormon on my iPod while I was on winter break.
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Church publications in audio format

I always have to search through the site until I find it. I'm bookmarking it now (wonder why I didn't do that before).

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
I have been talking with missionaries for the last three weeks, and they have always been very polite and willing to go away if I so wished it.

Unfortunately they want me to believe in the divinity of Christ, and that -only- through him can we be forgiven or get into heaven. I am mostly interested in discussing the philosophy of Mormonism, and not the dogma, as I do not truck with organized religion. Hopefully they will be satisfied to discuss the concepts without me having to join the church or believe what they believe.

I think that truth is everywhere and it is silly to not investigate every available avenue. If -nothing- else you discover what you do not believe.

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I've considered reading the Book of Mormon, but I have no intention of joining the church, so I'd feel like I'm wasting a book that someone else might read and actually want to join.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Lyrhawn, as stated above, there are other ways to access it. [Smile] And there's no shortage of copies around here, I'm sure everyone would rather you have it than not. If you feel really guilty about it, you can buy it through the online distribution center and help pay for the cost of printing. [Smile] (Shipping is free. I love that site. Soooo much more convenient!)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
You could just get it from your library. Maybe they don't have it, but it's worth a try.
Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

For the sake of curiousity, as I've never been visited by a missionary. How does the speech go? I mean, what do they say to people when they come to their homes?
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
When the sisters came to my house, they did what is I suppose the normal, laying out the basics for me. And then we proceeded to have a really nice conversation about religion in general and about Catholicism. It was really quite enjoyable, and I learned something, too!
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello. Introduce themselves. You probably should too but it's not requisite. You invite them in to your living room or wherever's most convenient. Further introduction from them. They give you a Book of Mormon. From there you're free to shoo them out. [Big Grin]

Or, they read it with you, often asking you to read it. (I was asked to read the last section by in the Book of Moroni, that instructs how to find out if the Book of Mormon is true.) There's a prayer or two. They leave.

Sorry if that seemed a bit disrespectful, but that's the gist of what I remember. My first expierence with LDS missionaries (in which I received a BoM) went roughly like this, but it was over 12 months ago, so I'm not positive.

Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

And then they just let you sort it out for yourself?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
If you ask them not to call you or visit you again, they generally won't. [Smile] They'll give you their number in case you want to call them, and leave.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

The first missionaries weren't around long enough for my liking. When I asked to have them visit one day they were different to the ones I'd been used to. After finding out they're around for such a limited time, I just gave up on missionaries.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*shrugs* It totally depends. I've seen missionaries stay in one ward for 18 months, or transfer every three. You must have just got hit with a change. Sorry that happened, but it doesn't always. [Smile]
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
When I was a junior in highschool, Mormon missionaries visited my family home, and I explained to them that I would be interested in hearing what they have to say, but that they would have to be discreet because my parents have a very, very strong anti-LDS bias (the same ignorant bias that generates a metric ton of strife in this regard). They said they would be, and arranged to come back when my parents weren't home.

It went pretty much like cheiros do ender described, except they also wanted to sing, which didn't work out very well because they were both tragically, tragically tone deaf. I kept wanting to correct them, but figured that they probably wouldn't appreciate it. We had a good conversation, and I learned a lot.

Then they made the mistake of ignoring my caveat about discretion and proceded to call me at least once a week for six months, leaving messages on the machine when no one answered. My parents were furious. They yelled at the missionaries, but mostly they yelled at me. I tried telling them nicely that I really appreciated their taking the time to talk to me, but that it just wasn't going to work out for the time being. They sounded understanding - but kept calling anyway. Eventually, my parents had to call the phone company and have their number blocked.

So...mixed bag, I'd say.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I've never heard of any of the LDS missionaries wanting to sing in someone's home. How sad for you.

Also Wow on the disrespect thing. That's... unusual. Or, at least, from what I've heard, it's unusual. They're taught to follow instructions like what you've given and to respect someone's wishes for all of that.

I have to admit that I wish you or your parents would have reported them to your local leaders. Chances are, if they've done it to you, they've done it to others, and they should have been stopped.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I love it when we sing together! Sister Hoefer taught me the harmony for "How Gentle God's Commands". It's a great way to invite the spirit into a gathering.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with the missionaries. They're all so sweet and sincere (the ones I've met). Saudade said they remind her of cute puppies, their eyes. [Smile] And I agree. I'm sorry if some got too enthusiastic and didn't follow your wishes. They really are trained to respect people's requests. They're also trained not to teach people under the age of 18 without their parent's consent.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I was very sad when the sisters who visited me and accompanied me to a service left very suddenly. The elders who replaced them were very nice but it was also painfully obvious they were younger. It was a bit awkward.

They offered to sing a carol with me, since it was right near Christmas, so my roomie suggested her favourite, O Holy Night. And then she wandered off. However, I know her too well, and I knew she'd start singing it herself. She has a very beautiful soprano voice and so I told them to listen, knowing what would be heard. The poor senior elder tossed his hymn book down and said "I can't follow an act like that!" And ever since then I have been able to tease her about scaring the poor nice Mormon missionaries.

/random anecdote

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.