FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My niece is in the NICU

Author Topic: My niece is in the NICU
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
It was 11 years ago that my new baby was in the NICU because of his bad heart and now my little niece is in there. She was born almost 4 weeks early after a difficult pregnancy trying to get her to stay put. She did okay at first but after a little while she wasn't breathing too well if they tried to feed her or if she lay in any position other than her stomach. That night she went to NICU. She gradually got better at breathing and eating but now has developed what they think is cellulitis. They suspect she may have spit up, lay on it too long, developed a rash and then developed cellulitis. They have started her on IV antibiotics (again!) for the next 7 days. So many emotions from our stay in the NICU, that I thought had been long gone have resurfaced and with all the other things going on (truly it would be funny if it wasn't so sad all the things that have gone wrong this month)I am having a hard time. I just pray all the bad stuff for 2006 will be over in one month and the rest of the year will be good. I have a feeling it won't be though.

If you can spare a prayer or good vibe send to little Kara and her momma Jamie.

Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Wendybird, Kara, and Jamie))) Good vibes are on their way.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
(((to all of Wendybird's family))) I hope everything goes well. Keep us posted.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
(((to Wendybird and family)))

The feelings and images never really go away. My little guy is 12, and I still get this wrenching in my heart and tears in my eye when I remember him in intensive care all those numerous times from birth through age 5.

Be gentle and kind to yourself. It's normal for the memories to surface. Welcome them, embrace them, and send them off with love.

What they do is allow you to be very connected in the moment, which may be one of the best things for Kara and Jamie -- because then you remember what you needed and wanted during a similar situation, and can then act with greater surety as you walk side-by-side with your family.

*sending peaceful vibes and healing wishes*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Baby Kara and her mom are in my prayers, as are you, Wendybird. I actually have fond memories of the NICU, mostly because I've blocked the bad ones. I can't bring myself to think about the PICU, though.

Antibiotics work wonders - Aerin was symptom-free after the first day when she had the staph infection.

I second what Shan said - she put it much better than I could.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
((((baby Kara and family))))
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.