FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Copyright?

Author Topic: Copyright?
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
I started coming up with a story about two years ago and i have been slowly (very slowly) hammering it out into a book. Right now it is two and a half chapters and about sixty pages long. I would like to share ideas about it to see what people think of it and just get some feed back. But my question is this: If i put like the first chapter up on like a webpage or put up a piece here would it be copyrighted it all or could anyone take it?
Also if someone gave me a suggestion and i used it could they later sue me for use of the idea? [Dont Know]

Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Copyright issues aside, this is a bad idea because a lot of publishing houses don't want something that has been available on the internet; they consider that published. A better plan is to email it to people and ask for critiques.

I think you'd have some success with that here.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
*waves magic copyright wand*

You have copyright automatically, whenever you fix it in any form (write it, basically).

If you ask for suggestions on your story, and someone gives you one in response (and doesn't ask for anything in return), you're free and clear (or if they make clear they're suggesting you use it in your story, and don't ask for anything in return). Or if they do ask for something in return, and you give it to them, you're fine.

Feel free to put pieces up anywhere. So long as its only a segment, most publishers won't care. If you want to put more than a small bit up, put it on a password protected page so most publishers won't consider it "published".

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
-thanks
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum6/HTML/000001.html
Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Ideas are not copyrightable, nor are titles. So if someone gives you an idea, they can't sue you. For that matter, if you steal someone's idea, they can't sue you.

Written works, however, are something entirely different, and yeah, as Fugu's said, if you post only a segment, it doesn't matter.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it all depends on what you mean by an idea. For instance, whenever someone writes down an idea to send it to you, that idea is copyrighted, just like anything else creative that has been written down or otherwise manifested in a fixed form.

This is one reason many game companies keep tight control of their review process for submitted ideas, and why authors don't admit to reading fanfic.

A close example of this occurred when Neil Gaiman sued Todd McFarlane over (among other things) the copyright on Medieval Spawn. Gaiman was involved in creating the character (a derivative of McFarlane's original Spawn) as part of a collaboration with McFarlane. Medieval Spawn proved popular, and McFarlane kept using him. Gaiman sued for copyright violation (and won).

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.