FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Another Front in Bush's War on Science

Author Topic: Another Front in Bush's War on Science
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Endangered Species vs. Urban Sprawl
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Bush loves Lysenkoism. It's scary.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Bad Gateway! Bad!

[Dont Know]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure how this is another front in Bush's War on Science...I didn't even know he declared war on science...sounds more like an Interior Secretary is taking a mouse off of the endangered species list, but I could be reading way too much into it
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I got the Bad Gateway message the first time, Icarus, but I'm able to get in now.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I don't know that this is really an example of Lysenkoism. There is no mention in the article of any facts which lead us to conclude that Ramey's study used bad science other than saying, "Critics say so."

In fact, that pisses me off. Not because I would put such a thing past the Bush Administration-I can see its membership wanting to overturn blocking development for a mouse-but because the article gives some hefty detail to the USGS's study, walking us through several of the steps. It doesn't give the reader a chance to see where the Ramey study used inferior science, other than the fact that it came to a different conclusion.

It seems to be either poor reporting or a rather blatant example of bias.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

DarkKnight where have you been?

Climate change.

Clean Air.

Intelligent Design.

And now Urban Sprawl vs. Endangered Species.

The man knows what he wants and creates directives to his so called scientific experts to give him the results he wants.

Sorry, I guess he didn't declare war. Would it make you feel better if I called it a Police Action on Science?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
President Bush has caused climate change?
President Bush has caused the air to be less clean?
President Bush has mandated ID?
and it's Bush's fault that the Interior Secretary "proposed removing the mouse from the government's endangered species list."? How odd.
To quote the article:
"Hallerman said Ramey's work reflects the Bush administration's intrusion of politics in its scientific research. "It seemed to me from the get-go, he wanted to find that this was not a taxonomically valid subspecies," Hallerman said."
I do understand that CNN has a completely misleading headline and then goes on to use someone's opinion (who only reviewed the second study but is not involved in any official capacity except that he is a professor) as the basis of their FACT that Bush wants to kill jumping mice so his buddies can get rich.
This is just another shining example of terrible reporting by CNN to make Bush the most evil man ever when this does not even involve Bush at all.
After reading this passage:
"After others raised similar doubts, Interior officials agreed to revisit Ramey's work by commissioning King's study. They had no immediate comment Wednesday"
We could change the headline to be:
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Bush Administration halts urban sprawl and conducts careful review after study finds acrobatic mouse is a unique and endangered species.

Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
President Bush has caused climate change?
President Bush has caused the air to be less clean?
President Bush has mandated ID?

Now you're being just plain silly.

Though, yes, I do believe that Bush has caused the air to be less clean in many ways that can be directly linked to him and blamed on him. Look at the differences between the Clean Air Act and his Clear Skies Initiative and it speaks for itself.

And his disdain for and disregard for climatologists and their findings, including the American National Academy of Science, is obvious.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.