FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New column: A pause for station re-identification

Author Topic: New column: A pause for station re-identification
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
A pause for station re-identification

Bowing to the pressures of the fiercely competitive market, struggling television networks The WB and UPN announced yesterday that they would merge into a new network called "CW" in a move that stunned millions of shocked viewers who had never heard of either network before.

Both networks have been competing for the same 18-34 year-old viewers, even to the point of entering random houses at night and forcing hapless teenagers to watch "One Tree Hill" at gunpoint. But neither UPN or The WB have achieved financial success despite the brilliant, envelope-pushing marketing of, respectively, a schizophrenic Star Trek show and an animated frog.

Now with this new venture, named after the first letters of current network owners CBS (Corporation) and Wacko Warner (Animaniac), CW has the opportunity to trim back the failing shows, push the good ones, and otherwise cram everything together into a programming juggernaut of well-meaning mediocrity. It can't fail.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
lol
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bridges:
A pause for station re-identification

Bowing to the pressures of the fiercely competitive market, struggling television networks The WB and UPN announced yesterday that they would merge into a new network called "CW" in a move that stunned millions of shocked viewers who had never heard of either network before.

Both networks have been competing for the same 18-34 year-old viewers, even to the point of entering random houses at night and forcing hapless teenagers to watch "One Tree Hill" at gunpoint. But neither UPN or The WB have achieved financial success despite the brilliant, envelope-pushing marketing of, respectively, a schizophrenic Star Trek show and an animated frog.

Now with this new venture, named after the first letters of current network owners CBS (Corporation) and Wacko Warner (Animaniac), CW has the opportunity to trim back the failing shows, push the good ones, and otherwise cram everything together into a programming juggernaut of well-meaning mediocrity. It can't fail.

"Can't"? <sigh> Why do you have to say things like that. It's like daring them. Tempting fate. We're going to wind up losing Everwood and Veronica Mars and keeping the dreck.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked Maureen Ryan's suggestion:

quote:
Get "Buffy," "Angel" and "Firefly" creator Joss Whedon on the phone and have him whip up one of his patented, obsessively loved cult dramas. Cowboys in space, vampire detectives, superhero gals -- whatever. But making Whedon the cornerstone of this night would be a smart move (and in this iTunes-oriented and DVD-crazed age, there’s no doubt The CW would make a mint from ancillary sales of any Whedon drama).

It would make sense to pair up Whedon’s new show with the critically acclaimed “Veronica Mars” (which Whedon adores and has guested on). The downside: My head might explode from sheer joy.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
shame on you!
Got me laughing my @$$ off at work!

"Some Half-Hour Comedy Featuring Brothers/Sisters/Divorced Partners/Potential Romantic Leads Of The Right Ethnic/Age Demographic Who Are Forced to Work/Live Together Despite Their Differences, Plus Their Wacky Friends and Nutty Parents" -- It sells itself.

[ROFL]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, I thought you had made that up. I mean, UPN and the WB merging? It's laughable!

And then I saw the newspaper the next day.

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TheTick:
Dude, I thought you had made that up. I mean, UPN and the WB merging? It's laughable!

And then I saw the newspaper the next day.

I just came in here to post just that.

WB and UPN are the only networks with shows I like. I'm very worried.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, there's gotta be a member of the Wayans family in the lineup somewhere...
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.