FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Fallen Fruit

Author Topic: Fallen Fruit
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I was at a social gathering that my father dragged me to the other day. And one of his co-workers was talking about her son's position on the raisins vs. grapes conflict. She said:

"My son loves grapes. He thinks that they are heavenly and that they must be a favorite as God, as well. But he despises raisins even though they are just grapes that are dried out."

I took this in after a few seconds of spacing-out. And I continued to reply, without thinking about it, as such:

"So, does this mean that he thinks that raisins are just grapes fallen from grace?"

This got quite a laugh from a crowd of intelligent teachers. Mind you all of them were thirty or above, and I am just in high school. So, I was rather proud at myself for being able to say something that they found funny.

I'm used to saying things that my peers find funny. But we all have twisted teenager sense of humors, so it really isn't the same.

I wanted to get up and do the happy dance.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the world of Stealth Jokes. Jokes told by people not expected to be funny have an added punch because people's defenses are down.

Keep this skill well honed and you will go far.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm having Benny and Joon flashbacks. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Who are Benny and Joon ? Aside from Benny and Joon, I mean.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
*hits snare twice and then hits cymbal*
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a movie, and a particularly good movie if you have, as I do, a hopeless crush on Mary Stuart Masterson.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Benny and Joon was one of the better romantic comedies of the 90s, part of the "Beautiful Weirdo Meets Troubled, Sensitive Soul" sub-genre.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Humiliated grapes
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's a movie, and a particularly good movie if you have, as I do, a hopeless crush on Mary Stuart Masterson.
Or Johnny Depp.

Does anyone else now have the title tune stuck in their head?
'But I would walk five hundred miles, and I would walk five hundred more...'

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't they just mention that song in another thread?

I love that song. It's really creepy to think about, but I love it.

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I remember dancing around the kitchen to that song when my aunt brought it over on a cassette. Wow. Now that brings back some serious memories.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
I love that movie. I think the scene with Depp in the park is my favorite, but the raisin line is right up there.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
I did like that movie. AND Johnny Depp references the rasin line in the Pirates outtakes, or deleted scenes, or something.

::goes to watch POTC now::

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, guess I'm going to have to watch it.

*adds it to already too long list of Movies To Rent*

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny, it made me think of PYSCHOS In Love and the whole Grape speech...
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Or What's Eating Gilbert Grape?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I have never found Mary Stuart Masterson to be crushworthy. She always had an "expressive" face rather than a "beautiful" face for me.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.