FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Waaaah! E-mail finked out on me. (mayfly)

Author Topic: Waaaah! E-mail finked out on me. (mayfly)
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm having creative withdrawal.

The anthology with my story "The Last Minute" hit bookstores at the end of November. Which: Yay.

Less than a month later, a woman editing another anthology for the same publisher e-mailed me and asked me if I had something I could submit to her anthology. Which, again: Yay.

What made it even nicer was that the submission period for the anthology was Aug 15 through Dec 31, and she sent me the solicitation on Dec 26, which I think means she must have really liked my story.

(She said that many of the contributors had already asked for and gotten extensions to Jan 20, and that I could have the same extension.)

So I finally came up with an idea last Friday. And all was going well. I finished the first draft last night at about 6800 words, and got some feedback from my partner and a friend of ours. And then sent it to myself as an e-mail attachment so that I could fiddle with it here at work during lunch.

And I saw the e-mail go out. I saw the little progress bar slide blue across the bottom of Eudora, and all was well. But the mail never got here! And I have all these ideas of what to do, and I can't do any of them until I get home.

This is why it took me so long to get started writing, too. I'm not an outline person. I start at the beginning and write until the story resolves itself. And I hate being interrupted. It makes it really hard to concentrate on other things.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
If it were me in your situation, I'd take off work right now and go home and write. A lot of times, with me, if I wait to write something it doesn't come out right. Your experience, of course, may be completely different. Or you may not work in a job where it's possible to just run off at the drop of a hat.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I could afford to. But I missed so much work because of the elevator accident last year. If I had a friend with a key, I'd have them go in and send the file again.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Avvenu
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.