FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Nitpick: It's not "Claymation"...

Author Topic: Nitpick: It's not "Claymation"...
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
...reading the latest OSC reviews everything column, I felt compelled to pick a nit. [Big Grin]

King Kong did not use "Claymation". That term is a registered, active trademark of Will Vinton's studio. They did the "California Raisins" commercials years ago.

KK and other films using stop-motion models may or may not use clay...all use Stop Motion animation. Most of them use a mixture of puppets, models, and tools made out of all sorts of materials.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
was Gumby claymation?
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Did you know this from your own studies, or was it brought it up somewhere else and you're repeating it?
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I know this from a letter Will Vinton Studios sent to Mad Magazine when the magazine referred to someone as a "claymation dwarf" in one of their articles.

Gumby was made by Art Clokey (sp?) not Will Vinton.

It's like "Kleenex" or "Jell-O"...one brand grew so famous that people began referring to every other product of the kind by that name.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
that's sad, I liked thinking Gumby was claymation.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

It was clay, animated. But Clokey cannot use the term "claymation" without Mr. Vinton objecting. [Razz]
sarcare
Member # 8736

- posted      Profile for sarcare   Email sarcare         Edit/Delete Post 
But I think that OSC actually used the term clay animation to describe the previous King Kong, and then said it would upset fans of claymation, not that they were the same.
Posts: 234 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I know this from a letter Will Vinton Studios sent to Mad Magazine when the magazine referred to someone as a "claymation dwarf" in one of their articles.

That's really interesting.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I do note that he capitalized "Claymation" in the article, so disregard this thread. My mistake. [Smile]
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm guessing that's one of those trademarked names that's pretty impossible to defend. It's been appropriated by the English-speaking public.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
*continues to call it claymation*
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
So, I can call it Klaymation? But not Claymation?
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer to refer to it as kleighmeishun.

[Wink]

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
My Dad is a copyright lawyer- you can't stop people from using your trademarked word as a descriptor, except that for instance, a new studio can't call their process "Joe's Claymation." However most likely, if the new studio described what it did as claymation, and the process was indeed similar or identical, then the word is used fairly and the inventor has no claim to it in that context. You can't stop people from using any words whatsoever, except where those words are specifically used to describe your product in a unique phrase which is Trademarked.

An interesting AP English topic was about this in the 90's. Some may be familiar with the Grove Press Vs. Coca Cola inc. argument over the phrase: "Its the Real Thing." But in that case, the phrase was not even trademarked.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.