FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The X-3 news just gets better and better...

Author Topic: The X-3 news just gets better and better...
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
...he said misleadingly.

Bleah.

Betsy in her briefly-lived "villain" incarnation?

Yeah, that's the best way to introduce a fan favorite character in what may be the last film of the series.

Really missin' Singer.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so afraid that this movie is going to make me stabby. [Frown] Especially after I loved the first so much that my best friend and I literally square danced in the aisle after it ended.

I'll just be sure to bring my stabbin' knife to the movie.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't think of anything to which my gut reaction would involve square dancing. This includes (but is of course not limited to) square dancing music.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I think my younger brother and I looked at each other blankly after watching the first one back in 2000.

For almost a full minute.

Then, as one: "That didn't suck!" *spontaneous high five*

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Mage
Member # 5800

- posted      Profile for Black Mage           Edit/Delete Post 
I hope it's good. I really do. It comes out on my birthday, and I don't want a stab-inspiring birthday gift from Hollywood.
Posts: 767 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Psylocke, who has had several incarnations in the Marvel comic book series, is best known for her fighting and telepathic skills as well as an ability to transport herself and others through shadows.
Huh? "Transport herself and others through shadows?"

Since when?

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
/minor thread derail

The movie V for Vendetta. Is that a comic book hero or what? I thought I saw DC comics in the beginning as being a part of it.

/rerail

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
Huh? "Transport herself and others through shadows?"

Since when?

For a time Betsy was utilizing an other-dimensional energy source known as the Crimson Dawn. In addition to giving her a truly ridiculous looking red blade shaped tattoo over her right eye, it gave her some extra powers that had nothing to do with her psionic abilities.

These extra powers and tattoo were lost when she was "killed" by the villain known as Vargas.

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

The movie V for Vendetta.

Yes?

Is that a comic book hero or what?

Depends on your point of view. V isn't a super-hero. He is an anarchist. Though he does seek to take down a dystopian society.

I thought I saw DC comics in the beginning as being a part of it.

The film is based on V For Vendetta a graphic novel written by Alan Moore. It was published in the U.S. by DC Comics.

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm worried now. I'd been looking forward to this movie. And now I'm not so sure. Why must they keep bringing up all these sub-plots just for some neat fight in which the character dies anyway? Why?
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
The movie V for Vendetta.

Yes?

Is that a comic book hero or what?

Depends on your point of view. V isn't a super-hero. He is an anarchist. Though he does seek to take down a dystopian society.

I thought I saw DC comics in the beginning as being a part of it.

The film is based on V For Vendetta a graphic novel written by Alan Moore. It was published in the U.S. by DC Comics.

Though my understanding is that Moore has washed his hands of the movie. Not a good sign.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Can we direct V For Vendetta comments into another thread and get back to complaining about Psylocke? [Big Grin]
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Any idea if the rumors about standalone films for any of the characters are true? My only complaint with the movies has been just how many characters there are, and I would love to see some of them in more depth on the big screen.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I've heard there is going to be a Wolverine film.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Weren't both X-Men and X-Men 2 basically Wolverine films? [Roll Eyes] [Wink]

But seriously, there's a Wolverine film in the works, as well as a Magneto film.

[ December 30, 2005, 03:11 PM: Message edited by: Puffy Treat ]

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I would watch both such films. I think there's some good story there.

And a minor question about V for Vendetta (sorry, PT): is it ever going to make it to general release? I've seen lots of dates for release and I think it's out already.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

There was an advance screening for V, but it won't be released until March 17, 2006.

Originally it was set for a November 5, 2005 release.

smitty
Member # 8855

- posted      Profile for smitty   Email smitty         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, it does seem they're pulling out every mutant ever for this one. They should know that people have favorites, and the more characters you pull out and then butcher, or don't give enough screen time to, the more people are going to get angry...
Posts: 880 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh. Thank you.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
[QB] Weren't both X-Men and X-Men 2 basically Wolverine films? [Roll Eyes] [Wink]

And with good reason- as he is the only character with an interesting background and personality. The others are just cardboard.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Only because the characters were treated as such. Storm is lame in the movie, but back in the glory days of the first Claremont run she was a fan favorite.
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but I think we can all agree that Cyclops can stay on the sidelines. Until he gets retconned into a former child sex-slave who was liberated by a secret ninja guild and who later became a top CIA assasin and joined the X-Men after discovering that he really liked wearing skin-tight costumes and who struggles every day with flashbacks to his childhood in the brothels of cambodia and, to keep the pain at bay, shoots himself full of all manner of unmentionable chemicals, I think we can do without. [Razz]
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Cyke was boring in the comics as well as in the films. I didn't request that he get more screen time, so I'm not sure what brought on that remark. [Wink]

Kurt was a cool, interesting character in X-2...but he's been cut from X-3.

Rogue was cool in X-1, but was just a minor character in X-2. Who knows how much screen time she'll get in X-3?

Charles Xavier has been a pushover wimp in both films, easy to hurt and maniuplate. Yuck.

Jean was actually very interesting, especially in X-2...but the plot for X-3 makes it seem like cramming the Phoenix saga stuff in will be a very bad idea.

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I want more Colossus! And Nightcrawler! And I hope they do Beast justice!
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Nightcrawler was probably my favorite thing in X2. I also liked Pyro switching sides, particularly his conversation with Magneto. I would definitely go see a Magneto movie.

I suspect I may be right in the target audience for these movies: Familiar enough with the characters to enjoy seeing them on the big screen, but not familiar enough with the major story arcs to get terribly upset about things they changed.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

I need Crawly and Gambit and, as Nina calls him, "Charley" Xavier.

Cyclops can be hit by a bus. Which reminds me of an amusing quote. Something about wanting Wolverine to get hit by a really big bus.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
as he is the only character with an interesting background and personality.
Cyke's story is far more interesting than the 2300 versions of Wolverine's past that Marvel's come up with.

He's not given enough credit in the movies-- but in the comic book ('least when I was following it), he was the only one that carried on the ideals of the X-men whenever everyone else had forgotten them.

He's more an X-man than Xavier, in other words.

THAT's the kind of character that interests me.

Logan's story-- meh. It's been done soooo many times. I'm bored with it. I was bored with it back when I started reading the book before the Mutant Massacre.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Nightcrawler will not be in X-3. [Frown]
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Little ole Cyclops can disappear. He has been driving me crazy for the last two movies.

I'm surprised that Gambit hasn't been included yet as it seems his fan-based is HUGE.

Nightcrawler is my favorite character and there's so much there to explore! I love Alan but I could beat him up for whining about the makeup so much. Nothing would make me happier if they just recast the role and brought him back into the movies.

I like Hugh as Wolverine and I agree that its a good character story...but enough is enough.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Mage
Member # 5800

Gambit needs someone really sexy to play him, though.

Hm . . . if he were younger, I'd suggest Johnny Depp.

Posts: 767 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

They can put make-up on Johnny. I think Johnny could achieve the look. I don't know that he'd be able to pull off the character.
pH
Member # 1350

Johnny Depp would make a sweet Gambit.

I vote they make a Gambit movie. In New Orleans, so that I can stalk-I mean, to make sure they get the Cajun feel.

-pH

Black Mage
Member # 5800

But don't forget Colossus! We need a movie with a lot of Colossus, too.

And maybe Jubilee. I wish Jubilee had shown up more in her "sidekick" role with Wolverine in X-2. Or, you know, been present at all.

krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
hmmm, gambit is one of my favorite x-men too. tho i hope if he ever sees the silver screen that they dont give him all those lame jokes and one liners like in the old x-men animated series. i think he is an all-round smooth flirt. he would definently give iceman a run for his money with the whole rogue relationship thing. anyway, the trailer for X-3 makes it look really good, tho im scared it is going to bomb as well. if magneto isnt the main villain in the third one, who is???
Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Jubilee was part of the crowd of X-Mansion students seen in X-2. Look for the girl with hoop earrings. According to the commentary, that's meant to be her.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.