FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My useless little petty rant.

Author Topic: My useless little petty rant.
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been doing a lot of filling out of computer forms recently. The most common drop-down listing is the one for State. Usually you type the first letter of your home state, and the cursor jumps straight to it. I am from Missouri. There are about 5 dozen states starting with the letter M. I have discovered it is quicker to type N, then go up 2 to get to MO or MISSOURI.

That is a fine and useful shortcut.

Accept people can't put the states in alphabetical order.

They keep confusing Missouri with Mississippi. Mississippi should come first. I before O and all that. However I keep finding sites where they put Missouri before Mississippi.

I understand some of them are alphabetizing the state codes instead of the state name. To them MO comes before MS.

I can work with that--BUT NEVER WHEN THEY SPELL OUT THE NAME OF THE STATE!!!

I wish I could post examples but I am unable at this moment.

That is all.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the forms that you have to write on and they make the spaces for street address, city, state and zip all the same size. Maybe I'm just being grouchy. Maybe there really is a person who lives somewhere that has a street address that can be written with 2 letters.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Having only lived in HI, WA, MA and NY, I can't say that this has ever bothered me.

That is bizarre that they'd do that, though - if it's even a conscious choice.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember being bugged years ago when I lived in New Mexico, and it was always after New York in lists and atlases and such...
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Mage
Member # 5800

- posted      Profile for Black Mage           Edit/Delete Post 
I've lived in WI and GA. No problem.
Posts: 767 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I did the same thing when I lived in Montana; I hit "N" and went back one.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.