FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Just Finished Reading 'IT'

Author Topic: Just Finished Reading 'IT'
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Remind me never to read for more than six hours consecutively because I now have a really REALLY bad headache and I feel like I'm going to throw-up.

Anywho, I really liked it. There were some parts that I thought were completely perverted and weren't necessary. But overall, it was very good.

I'll admit it was very long, and, too me, it felt like it would never end. But it did.

A lot of places you look and it says the ending of the book completely sucks. I didn't think so. Sure it was really different. I think that if King could have gone back in time and written a different ending for 'IT,' and written a different novel based on the premise of the ending of 'IT,' that it would have been okay.

Personally, though. I liked the ending. But it was mostly because the Turtle was a complete smart ass. Oh, turtles. They crack me up.

Anywho, the only part of the ending that bothered me was the Epilogue. It was completely different from the rest of the book. It was too happy. Everything turns out ok, kind of, for Bill. But everyone else's life sucks. I think it would have been just as well without Bill Denbrough beating the devil again, so to speak.

And, on another note, is the movie good? I think I'm getting it for Christmas, from my brother, and I've heard mixed reviews.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, it wouldn't be Stephen King if some parts of it weren't completely perverted. [Smile]

As for the movie, I saw bits and pieces of it and thought it was pretty good. Thought it was pretty scary too, but that was years ago.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Yeah, I'd heard that it'll cause a permanent, or long-lasting, fear of clowns. But that it is awesome. And its ending also sucks.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
I was already afraid of clowns when I read "IT". Sometimes I'm amazed that I ever got through it. However, I did like the book a lot.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

But everyone else's life sucks.

What do you mean? With the obvious exceptions of Eddie and Stan, everyone does okay -- and Ben and Beverly are noticeably better off. Heck, Bill's ending isn't even really all that happy, when you consider that the whole bike thing merely brings him and his wife back to where they were before he returned to Derry.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I never particularly liked clowns, but reading IT (5 or 6 times, I think) hasn't given me a phobia of them. I had much more trouble with the giant spider. I hate spiders. <shudder>

I think King does well when he writes kids. IT and The Talisman (not in any particular order) are my favorite of his books, by far. The Stand probably comes in a close third.

And as for Eddie... I don't think his ending was that sad. He went out a hero, and somehow, I don't think he had any regrets.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I thought it was cool how Eddie fought IT. Just goes to show all those people who think I'm insane that a little imagination never hurt anyone. Or not JUST imagination. Anything else that may have been combined with it doesn't count.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.