FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » American Pie

Author Topic: American Pie
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
I love this song. Everything about it- listening to it just makes all of me just jump for joy.

Yet- I don't really like the 60's.

Can someone tell me what this song has over me that makes me wanna shout for joy?

Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't want to jump for joy, but I can't help but sing along. I listened to it today actually!
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm...I'll guess that you don't like the 50's either. So perhaps it is the death of Buddy Holly that makes you want to jump for joy?

Other than that, I don't know. It's a fairly sad song, but it is a good one. It gets stuck in my head too easily for me to really like it, though.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Welll... the song isn't so much about the '60s -- it's more about musicians who were around then.
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Parts of it are about the 70s: "Drove my chevy to the levee but the levee was dry" = gas shortage.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer the Weird Al/Star Wars version. I often watch the video and laugh hysterically at "Mace Windu" dancing in the background.

"May be Vader someday later," indeed. [Smile]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. Here's info from Don McLean's website:

http://www.don-mclean.com/americanpie.asp

quote:
Initially inspired by his memories of the death of Buddy Holly in 1959, ‘American Pie’ is autobiographical and presents an abstract story of Don McLean’s life from the mid 1950s until when he wrote the song in the late 1960s. It is almost entirely symbolised by the evolution of popular music over these years and represents a change from the lightness of the 1950s to the darkness of the late 1960s. This is also very symbolic of changing America during this era. In Don’s life the transition from light (the innocence of childhood) to the darker realities of adulthood probably started with the death of Buddy Holly and culminated with the assassination of President Kennedy in 1963 and the start of a more difficult time for America. In this 4 year period, Don moved from a fairly idyllic childhood existence, through the shock and subsequent harsh realities of his father’s death in 1961, to his decision in 1963 to quit Villanova University to pursue his dream and become a professional singer.

In his 2000 'Starry Starry Night' video, Don says: I'm very proud of the song. It is biographical in nature and I don't think anyone has ever picked up on that. The song starts off with my memories of the death of Buddy Holly. But it moves on to describe America as I was seeing it and how I was fantasizing it might become, so it's part reality and part fantasy but I'm always in the song as a witness or as even the subject sometimes in some of the verses.

You know how when you dream something you can see something change into something else and it's illogical when you examine it in the morning but when you're dreaming it it seems perfectly logical.

So it's perfectly okay for me to talk about being in the gym and seeing this girl dancing with someone else and suddenly have this become this other thing that this verse becomes and moving on just like that. That's why I've never analyzed the lyrics to the song. They're beyond analysis. They're poetry."

Don has recently re-enforced this theme: "The song was written as my attempt at an epic song about America, and I used the imagery of music and politics to do that. Also, I was really influenced by the Sgt. Pepper album, and the American Pie album was my attempt to do that, but the song totally overshadowed the album."

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Huh. Damn behind the music.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
As I recall, the gas shortage had not yet occurred in '72.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

It is biographical in nature and I don't think anyone has ever picked up on that.

How could anyone not pick up on that? I mean, it's self-evidently biographical. The whole song is basically "My Childhood: An Allegory;" almost every line is a coded reference to a musical trend, political trend, or adolescent coming of age.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
Parts of it are about the 70s: "Drove my chevy to the levee but the levee was dry" = gas shortage.

I never figured it that way. Does levee = gas pump at the Exxon station?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
"almost every line is a coded reference to a musical trend, political trend, or adolescent coming of age".

Almost every line is in reference to several events/trends/etc, not all of them contemporaneous with each other. It's especially noticible in how the meaning of the chorus shifts in response to the multiple times/ways in which "the day the music died".

Think in terms of dreamweaving: of images and events morphing into each other, with the unconscious mind scarcely noticing / not noticing that the transmutations themselves are oddities (which would certainly capture the attention of a conscious mind).

[ December 18, 2005, 04:13 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
I never figured it that way. Does levee = gas pump at the Exxon station?
See the debunking of this theory later in the thread.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Don said: "They're beyond analysis. They're poetry."

Tom wrote:
"The whole song is basically "My Childhood: An Allegory;" almost every line is a coded reference to a musical trend, political trend, or adolescent coming of age."

Ha ha. I was thinking, OK, Don, the last thing I knew about poetry was that it can not only be analyzed, but analyzed to death, and that a great many professors have made a life for themselves doing just that.

And then I read Tom's post, and it made me chuckle.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.