FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Lebanese camp massacres

Author Topic: Lebanese camp massacres
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently, I wasn't paying attention to anything that happened in 1982, so I was wondering if someone could give me a brief outline of what really happened. I know that my cousin married a guy from Lebanon, and his family couldn't come to the wedding because if they left their house "the Shi'ites would take it over." My cousin has since converted to Islam and severed all ties with family. (She tried to convert my aunt, an Episcopalian priest, for a while but then cut off all contact and didn't even come to her funeral.)

Anyway, I was reading this article about the September 1982 massacres in Lebanon and realized I had no idea what they were talking about. But when I look it up, I seem to be finding very skewed information about how horrible Israel is. Since I don't know what the truth is (and it might very well be that it is the truth, but to me, it reads like propaganda,) I thought I'd ask.

The reason I ask is because of the following paragraphs from the article.

quote:
In passing, they give details of the links between Israel and the militia it had helped train. The men describe trips in 1980 to Israel, where they were shown films about the Nazi attempt to annihilate European Jews in World War Two.

The militiamen explain how they began a frantic rush to dispose of as many bodies as possible before the media came, in part accounting for the absence of an exact figure for the dead.

One says the Israeli army gave them large plastic sacks for bodies, another says they herded people into army vehicles to ferry them to a sports stadium where they were killed. They said they used chemicals to destroy many of the corpses.

I find it strangely disturbing that, from I'm reading in this article, it seems like Israel was introducing them to the concept of genocide and them helped them with the cover-up. Is this just an incredibly poorly written article? Poorly researched? Simply the outlandish accusations of the 6 guys interviewed? Or true? I find it disturbing Reuters would print such horrid things if they weren't true.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
It's Reuters. The next best thing to the Weekly World News when it comes to Israel.

It's pretty nasty propaganda. It's not that it's poorly written or poorly researched. The bias is intentional. Andrew Hammond is a free-lance journalist based in Cairo, and if you can find me one thing he's every written about Israel that wasn't absolutely filled with vicious propaganda, mail it to me, and I'll post a video of me eating it.

Take this, for instance. Take a look at that picture. That red beret? Israeli kids don't wear things like that. If you look closely, you can see that the Arab kid with the assault rifle was photoshopped into the picture with the Jewish guy. You can even tell from the shadows. They don't match.

This guy makes Christiane Amanpour look like a lover of Israel by comparison.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.