FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Great Lakes water deal reached!

Author Topic: Great Lakes water deal reached!
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2005/12/13/1351248-cp.html

quote:
Deal protects Great Lakes water
By STEVE ERWIN

TORONTO (CP) - Dry southern U.S. states will be unable to take massive sips from the Great Lakes-St. Lawrence basin under a deal reached Tuesday by Ontario, Quebec and other jurisdictions that border the waterways.

The Ontario government called the Great Lakes-St. Lawrence River Basin Sustainable Water Resources Agreement an "historic" deal that will essentially prohibit massive, bulk water exports from the fresh-water lakes.

Ontario signed the deal in Milwaukee alongside representatives from eight American states - Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin. Quebec also signed the deal since the St. Lawrence River is connected to the Great Lakes, which account for one-fifth of the world's fresh water supply.

The deal, which still requires endorsement by the U.S. Congress, is meant to prevent thirsty southern American states from diverting massive amounts of water to their own jurisdictions.

It's more of a theoretical risk, but Natural Resources Minister David Ramsay said the deal was key to protecting Great Lakes water from drainage over decades to come.

"Primarily the pressures come from the southwest United States, the drier part of the continent," Ramsay told reporters at the Ontario legislature in Toronto.

"We hear musings from time to time (from) southern California, Arizona, New Mexico of their challenges to supply fresh, potable water to their populations," Ramsay said.

"They look north and they see the Great Lakes as the largest supply of fresh water in the world . . . and sometimes they get visions of sugar plums dancing in their heads, to use a seasonal analogy."

Thank God. [Smile]
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Phew.

I grew up on the shore of Lake Superior. I would hate to see that happen to that beautiful lake.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amilia
Member # 8912

- posted      Profile for Amilia   Email Amilia         Edit/Delete Post 
I am reminded of a certain Garrison Keillor monologue.
Posts: 364 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It's about time.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I had no idea this was in the works at all. That's a relief! [Smile]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
That is great. Hope they settle/have settled the Lake of the Woods conflict, too.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Amen. I'm glad this was settled. I wouldn't want my state nickname changed to The Great Ponds State. And then eventually, The Great Ditches State.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
Out west California gets more than their share of Colorado River water because Utah isn't using their share. Utah is talking about using more of their share by piping water from Lake Powell to the Saint George area. That's got downstream users Las Vegas and the California farmers up in arms.

A nice long drought in California is all we need to tip the scales toward all out war.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe California and Utah should band together to perfect desalinization technology. You can solve your own problem and make billions in the process.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Phew. Lake Michigan is a big part of West Michigan culture, and the lake's been low the past few years as it is. I'm glad we won't be pumping yet more water out of it.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
The lowest point on the UnitedStates ContinentalDivide is near Deming, NewMexico: elevation ~4331feet/1320metres.
The GreatLake's highest historical water level has been ~603feet/184metres on LakeSuperior in 1876.
In order to get water from the GreatLakes in the East to California/etc in the West, one would have to pump water at least ~3728feet/1,136metres/0.7miles up over the GreatDivide.

Reverse osmosis desalination filters currently operate most efficiently at pressures of ~80atmospheres. A column of seawater a bit less than ~33feet/10metres high creates one atmosphere of pressure. And the energy needed to create the pressure equivalent of lifting water 2640feet/800metres/0.5miles would be more than enough to desalinate water.

So pumping GreatLakes water to the Southwest would just be a waste of energy.
And I equally doubt the practicality of building a canal* from LakeSuperior...
...southward to the GulfCoast, across southernMexico to the PacificOcean, then along the PacificCoast...
...until it reaches Arizona and California.

* Follow the border between the green and yellow on the topographical map.

[ December 14, 2005, 06:44 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.