FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Wayward Bus

Author Topic: Wayward Bus
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a little Steinbeck book. I'm not sure that anyone depicts the appetites and aversions, the impetus for action, of poor people as well as Steinbeck. There is an attractive animality that Steinbeck captures. OSC does a great job with the rational process, but rational processes will only get you so far, and logic and economy will only do so much. That said, Hart's Hope is perfect, and OSC is a wonderful character writer, I'm just saying that John Steinbeck is a good one too.

Steinbeck achieved something similar to what Roseanne did in her sitcom. Portraying the strains of poor people who found their dignity and comfort in everything else except money and power, and then he goes one further and shows what happens if they each start letting each other down.

The Wayward Bus is an important book that'll leave a lasting impression on me because it introduced me to four fascinating people: Mildred, Juan, Mr. Pritchard, and Camille.

I still don't know what to do with Mr. Pritchard, but if some else has read the book, I'd love to talk about him.

[ December 02, 2005, 02:21 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Steinbeck too, for pretty much exactly the reasons you give. I actually checked The Wayward Bus out from the library last summer, but I didn't have a chance to read it before it was due. I'll have to get it again.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
Check it out, it's the real deal. The prose is deceptive. He is so even-handedly charming with all of the characters that I never know whom to root for.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I hated Grapes of Wrath, and thought anyone who liked Steinbeck was looney.

Then I under extenuating circumstances* I read Cannery Row. The characters in it just hit me. It one of the few books that has moved me to tears, and it's followup was just about as good.

*The extenuating circumstances, was I was hard up for fresh non-school reading material, and the people on my doorm floor who had other books that I hadn't read and was interested in reading (such as Enders Game)weren't around at the time. We had a really good informal book loan system going on that year (and people with good taste in personal books) I read more quality books in that year than I had before in my life.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

The Wayward Bus is much closer in style and form to Cannery Row than it is to The Grapes of Wrath. It's a little book about quirky interesting common people like us, and there is just an intensity in these people that is wonderful to behold. Everyone one of them is a precious little marvel.
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, you've piqued my interest, I'll have to read it. I didn't like Roseanne, so that comparison doesn't work for me [Wink] , but I have been impressed with Steinbeck so I'll try it. I've never even heard of Wayward Bus, so thanks for the recommendation!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the heads up, Irami.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

Uprooted,

Roseanne portrayed a family of good poor people finding humor in each other. It was the only show I can remember that drove home the message that just because you were poor, it doesn't mean that you are stupid. I can't think of a show that did it as well, except for maybe Good Times, but I still think Roseanne did it better.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate Steinbeck. Hate him. Hate his style and hate his stories. But mostly his style. And his characters.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
I've loved everything of Steinbeck's that I've read, but my favorite story of his is "Junius Maltby." It happens to be at the end of my edition of "The Red Pony" (Bantam Pathfinder Edition). Apparently it is from "The Pastures of Heaven."

I hadn't really thought about it until now, but that story may have been one of the first things that influenced my decision to homeschool my children. I think I was in elementary school when I first read it, but it clearly made a big impression on me.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

quote:
I hate Steinbeck. Hate him. Hate his style and hate his stories. But mostly his style. And his characters.
Maybe we wouldn't get along because one thing I do like about Steinbeck is that his character's concerns and my concerns are similar, I see myself in the brilliant ones and the incompetent ones, but mostly, they think and feel in the same way I think and feel, now I don't act on some of the disagreeable appetites that he portrays, but I'm sure sympathetic and curious in reading about the people who do.

I think it's good fiction for adults, and when I say this, I mean it as high praise.

[ December 08, 2005, 01:33 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It was the only show I can remember that drove home the message that just because you were poor, it doesn't mean that you are stupid.
I don't have any problem w/ the message. Just Roseanne Barr--she has her moments, but mostly her style grates on me. I didn't watch the show enough to debate the fine points, though--I was never drawn into the story. Although I probably haven't watched sitcoms with any attention for oh, 20 years.

And although they struggled, I don't remember seeing the family in that show as particularly poor (not like Steinbeck's characters in, say, the Grapes of Wrath). They seemed more like the regular working class folk that I grew up with. But like I said, I didn't watch it much.

Anyway, will be looking for Wayward Bus!

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Ketchupqueen, what is it about Steinbeck's characters that you dislike? I'm curious.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.