FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Begging the help of the masters of google-fu...

Author Topic: Begging the help of the masters of google-fu...
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
...or someone who already knows the answer to this question.

My mother has small dogs and will soon be moving into a house that has a large, open backyard. This area seems to have a fair number of birds of prey, and I've heard horror stories about small dogs being picked up and taken by birds of prey. I'm looking for some way to keep birds of prey away from the dogs, and so far everything that I've turned up on google has just seemed...goofy.

I know sometimes statues or silhouettes of owls are used to keep smaller birds off places. I guess I was just thinking of something like that...anyone have any ideas?

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
get the yorkies (I think?) scary masks?

Ok I'm not useful at all.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Son_of_a_Potato_Sack
Member # 8889

- posted      Profile for Son_of_a_Potato_Sack   Email Son_of_a_Potato_Sack         Edit/Delete Post 
Cover them in flames. The birds won't get near them then.

Or, you could tie them down. If you have them tied down no dumb birds will be able to get at them. Well, they will. But they won't be able to fly off with them.

Posts: 35 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Yup, yorkies. [Big Grin]

I would love to get them scary masks, but I don't think they'd stay on for more than two seconds.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
I think it would be just best to tie the dog up.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Yorkies really don't need a lot of space, right? Why not put up some kind of screening or something around a small area of the yard and let them roam free within a confined space.

Also, leaving them unsupervised for long periods is probably a bad idea anyway.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
We have Coyotes here. If there were a little dog in my yard, I would try a little bacon grease on the tail. That would take care of it.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Audeo
Member # 5130

- posted      Profile for Audeo   Email Audeo         Edit/Delete Post 
Your best bet is to not let them outside unsupervised. My grandparents have Shit-tzus, along with a bald eagle nest a hundred yards from their front porch. The fenced in a relatively small area in front of the house, keep the grass trimmed, and go outside when the dogs do. Birds are unlikely to try to attack if they see a person in the yard.

As an alternative, you might consider getting a larger dog. My other grandparents have a lot of acreage in an area with lots of coyotes and the occasional bear. It was dangerous to let their smaller dogs outside by themselves, and the size of the land made fencing impractical. So they got a much larger dog, and let them outside together. The larger dog scared any would-be predators, and neither the people nor the dogs were inconvenienced.

Posts: 349 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I live near the beach and what resturants around here do to stop birds from grabbing food is they put a grid of fishing line above the outside sitting. I don't know if that would be practical or even if it works, but its what I've heard.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

My grandparents have Shit-tzus

Gesundheit! Benadryl is good for that.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

I know my mom is already planning on never leaving them unsupervised, so if that's all it takes, then she's covered. I've heard a few stories about birds attempting to snatch small dogs even in the presence of their owners, though, so I was looking for some kind of visual deterrent.

The idea of having a fenced-in yard is so that she wouldn't have to tie them up, and could give them some space to run around (yorkies are rather energetic). She really can't get any more dogs (she's got three yorkies and one small black lab mutt mix, though only two yorkies are coming up with her to start). I'd hoped she was bringing the lab, because that would be very helpful, but apparently that's not an option right now.

I guess I was just hoping someone here might've heard of some stationary scarecrow-type thing. So far, though, the most workable solution is constant (vigilance!) supervision.

Son_of_a_Potato_Sack
Member # 8889

- posted      Profile for Son_of_a_Potato_Sack   Email Son_of_a_Potato_Sack         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think it would be just best to tie the dog up.

Score One for the sack of potatoes!
Posts: 35 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.