FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » All 80's children raise your hand!! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: All 80's children raise your hand!!
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wave]

She-ra, He-man, Rainbow Bright, Teenage mutant ninja turtles, Attari, The Police, Dark Chrystal, Gremlins, friendship charms, Omnibot < [Cool] ,neon attire...men wearing make up..
Aaah those were the days.
[Big Grin]

And the high chance of having a job when we grew up, that wasn't even invented yet,... I'm proof of that!

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
He-man and She-ra were my favorites. I had all the action figures.

Anyone remember Jem and the Holograms? (I think that's what it was called.)

Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
*raises hand* I watched Thundercats, Silverhawks, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. My brother loved He-Man.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Rainbow Bright! I also loved Smurfs, Glow Worms, and well Sessame Street in the 80s. I don't think I liked Teenage Mutant Ninga Turtles till the 90s, it was scary till then. (I turned four the first month of 1990)
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I learned my colors from Cyndi Lauper's hair in different videos. Seriously. When I was 18 months old. I LOVED Cyndi Lauper. When I wanted to hear "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun", I said, "Fun!", and "She-Bop" was "Bop!"

I was also a fan of the album Thriller, Graceland by Paul Simon, and "California Girls" as performed by David Lee Roth. I collected those little Smurf figurines (well, I begged my daddy for them whenever I saw them and he gave in), and my sisters tried to get me to play the Smurfs game without cheating.

My sister drew a full-size portrait of Annie Lennox on her bedroom wall. My other sister had Souxie and the Banshees posters all over her walls. The Christmas I was two and a half, they both chipped in and got me embroidered jeans, a ski sweater, and matching leg-warmers, which I then insisted they help me put on (removing my dress in front of the company to do so. [Laugh] )

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
*born the first month of the 80's decade* [Big Grin]
Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xtownaga
Member # 7187

- posted      Profile for xtownaga   Email xtownaga         Edit/Delete Post 
*was born in '87* that um... kind of counts... even though I don't really remember the 80's that much

EDIT: oh and I still watched the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
I was born in '89. I don't really remember any of that stuff.

Geezers.

Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I only remember bits. I do remember Suxie and the Banshees, my brother named his cat Souxie in 1989, I remember really ugly hair and the braces my cousin had, that had neon pink things on her teeth. I associate roller skating in school gymnasiums with the 80s, and wearing pink and orange together, and really really bad blush on cheeks. But I didn't have style, or much taste at that point.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe some of you are younger than my baby brother (three years younger than me, he was born in '86.) [Eek!]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Souxie! That's how you spell it!

I remember many a 6-year-old birthday party at the roller rink, skating to the Cure, the Eurythmics, and "Time After Time". That was the popular party that year, I guess.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

My husband missed the 80's by 3 days-- he was born Dec. 28 of '79. But since all his early memories are of the 80's (and I have pictures of him and his sibs in tank tops and short shorts in garish colors [Big Grin] ), I think he counts. [Wink]
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Yeah, like Soux indians. I'm probably just a teeny bit older than your brother, but right about the same age, also born in 86.
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

He was deffinitely an 80's child! Marlozahn was born The April of 79 and he, of course, grew up in the 80's.
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
*raises hand*

You somehow managed to forget ghostbusters and transformers. I'm dissapointed.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
UW? Yeah? Well my birthdate is 1-9-80. [Razz]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Aren't you the child of the decade that you were 8-18 in? I think some of you are actually '90s children.

<-----turned 8 in 1980.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
April 1982

I was definately an 80's child and I can remember EVERYTHING you have all posted. But I also remember Sabre Rider and the Star Sheriffs, speed racer, My Little Pony had astonishingly evil villains, and I CANNOT believe everyone forgot the American Hero GI JOE! I think I must have seen EVERY single episode of GI Joe at least until that oddity GI Joe Extreme showed up, then I just stopped. I still remember TONS of the lessons they gave me at the end of all their episodes, like never getting close to train tracks when the lights and sirens are activated. Opt for fresh fruit instead of candy at the grocery store. Its unfortunate I have NO idea what role models will exist for my kids when they are born. Being a kid in the 80's was rocking solid. But being an adult was an unfortunate situation [Razz] Being a kid in the 00's is horrible, cartoons all suck and they try to be clever and crass rather than actually teaching our kids anything other than naked butts are funny, and nasal high pitches voices are apparently the norm.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

Woa! You got me beat Mac!

Edit: but only by 15 days!

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Yeah, I think the cartoons and children's culture of the late 80s was better than post say 92.
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
*raises hand* Do I get a My Little Pony now?
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
What about the Mon Chi-Chi's or the Snorkles? Pound Puppies and the Smurfs? Chips? Knight Rider? anyone? Oh, and the Dukes of Freaking Hazard. Come on People. And how can we forget the music? Twisted Sister anyone? Ratt? Motley Crew? How about Madonna, Adam Ant, Men at Work, Devo, Ton Loc, Young MC, Bowie, Dire Straits, Run DMC? Man the 80's freaking rocked.
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
I was born in 1981, but I think I only qualify as a semi-80s child. I remember a lot of commercials for the stuff everyone's mentioned, but I didn't actually have access to most of it myself. My mom didn't believe in getting me toys (we couldn't afford it), and my TV-watching was severely limited by my dad's monopoly on our family's only TV - lots of news, baseball, and football, none of which I cared about. So I was greatly enamored of My Little Pony and She-Ra, etc, but I don't recall ever seeing their shows, and I definitely never had the toys (but I did have Jem rain boots once). What can I say, I was deprived. [Roll Eyes]

But no one's mentioned the Gummi Bears cartoon yet! Or the Pound Puppies! I loved those!! [Big Grin]

Edit: Okay, so Beatnix mentioned Pound Puppies while I was typing.

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Avadaru:
He-man and She-ra were my favorites. I had all the action figures.

That show had such catchy music but my mother would not let me watch it when I lived with her as she thought it was evil, but it was cool. I loved synergy.
I slept through most of the 80s and hated Reagan and if I watch sitcoms and movies from then I cringe.
I hate baby boom and fatal attraction and freaking two men and a baby!

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
I've still got a basement full of Pound Puppies, Care Bears and My Little Ponys. When are those 80's Childred ever going to come back and get them?
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
YOu could make a killing off them now. All the 80's stuff is coming back huge. my kids love the Care Bear and own about all of them and the cousins. We watch and play with Strawberry shortcake and rainbow bright toys. Ninja Turltes are coming back. It's like the producers and manufacturers realized the new stuff sucks and they needed to get back to the classics
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

My mom bought me My little ponies to bribe me to go to kindergarten... you could imagine how many I ended up with. [Smile]
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
I can't believe some of you are younger than my baby brother (three years younger than me, he was born in '86.) [Eek!]

How do you think those of us born in 1970 (or earlier) feel? [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Born in '81, but in another world...
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:

Old.
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
about 80
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Youth ap Orem
Member # 5582

- posted      Profile for Youth ap Orem   Email Youth ap Orem         Edit/Delete Post 
Born in '83! Did anyone else have skating rink's where they played disco duck all the time and the limbo stick? Or those Kool-Aid like drinks in the grenade shaped plastic containers with a foil top?
Posts: 290 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Born in '81, but in another world...
Born in '86 and in a sort of different world.

Not nearly as far as Corwin, at it wasn't so much a feature of the society but of my particular family. I remember people talking about Ninja Turtles but they were never a feature of my childhood. Rollerskating was a part of it, although a very minor part. I think I went once.

My TV was Blue Peter and Thunderbirds reruns. Other children had the '80s and '90s, although a British version [Wink] , but the closest I got was Alanna The First Adventure [Big Grin] . (oh, and Starlight Express, but since that was a flop everywhere but in London, it's not really part of the culture you are all talking about!)

In a way, I never really woke up until the millenium when it comes to popular culture, so I guess you could say I am actually a "child" of the '00s along with all the five year olds [Wink] .

This means that whenever anyone shares notes on their childhood I have to sit quietly and listen.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I think I'm going to paint my bedroom at my parents house to be My Little Ponies, I'm moving out in less than a year, and it'll seem nostalgic in a while. It's currently lavender with ugly flower border.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Or those Kool-Aid like drinks in the grenade shaped plastic containers with a foil top?
They still make those, and they're delicious.

I remember being eight years old, and at my birthday party. Everybody was playing with my He-man toys (most of the people there I'm still friends with) and my She-Ra toys were with them. My friends wanted to know why I had girl toys. An excellent question, as I had no sister. Up till then, I didn't know toys were gender-specific. After all, She-Ra came with a horse, which was way cool. She wasn't a doll or anything, she was an action figure.

Philistines.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
Siouxsie.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still a Transformers fan.

'82 here.

Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember Jem. God help me, I remember Jem.

I was born in 1985.

I have a Rainbow Brite quilt that my parents gave me when I was 3. I still have it. In fact, my parents video taped me opening it.

::mom holds up quilt::

3 year old nathan: WAINBOW BWIIIIIIITE!!
Dad: Yes Nathan, Rainbow Brite!
3 year old nathan: WAINBOW BWIIIIIIITE!
Dad: *chuckle* Yes, it sure is!
3 year old Nathan: I wish _I_ had one!

I remember She-Ra and He-Man. I remember Transformers and Ninja Turtles.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

[ROFL]
"WAINBOW BWIITE!!"

3 year olds are Cute!

Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

Thanks Nathan, that's the cutest and funniest thing I've run into all day.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Was anyone else really annoyed by the fact that Barbie's clothes were too small to fit on that Amazon named Jem?
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
hehe, im an '83 model. we had the original Atari system. ah Centepede, what a great game... for its time!
Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
I made it into the world of 80's children by only 30 days. 1980, here, baby!
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
ET for Atari = Worst. Game. Ever.
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Man this thread makes me feel old.... 1973...

I've got Jem and Rainbow Brite and Thundercats and Fraggles all on my Netflix queue. My elder daughter absolutely cannot STAND Fraggles, so the younger one and I teasingly terrorize her by singing. I almost made the theme song my ringtone....

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
My stars some of you were born after I graduated high school.

I am OLD.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
I have the "Gummy Bears" theme song stuck in my head now.
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
Material Girl Chernobyl "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" Blade Runner glasnost PC's Falklands War "Just say no" "Read my lips" "Make my day" Challenger Bloom County Cosby Show Cheers C-64 Iran-Contra hip-hop The Human League Terminator Reaganomics R.E.M. Falklands War KAL 007 People Power Miami Vice Tiananmen Square VCRs IRAs karaoke
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

My mom always says Challenger was scariest disaster she's ever watched on tv, it was the day my dad went back to work, when I was 6 days old, she was sitting in front of the tv nursing me and watching the take off when it happened.
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh...I remember seeing that happen. I was five, and very disgruntled that Muppet Babies was being interrupted - until it happened, that is. Then I was horrified. [Frown]
Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.