FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » M.A.R.S.

Author Topic: M.A.R.S.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm am starting a monotone activists' group. People at my school have actually been harrassing me because of my voice. I've been accused of being a stoner and a retard. I'm sure they are all kidding. But just the same, I felt compelled to do something. Especially in light of a different group of people.

First, I'm not gay. Second, there are gay people at my school. Third, they are being harrassed. Fourth, students made inappropriate t-shirts to set the gays right. The shirts are black and read, "Straight Pride," across the front.

My shirt:

My shirt will mock the "Straight Pride" shirts. It will be the same style only with different words.

My organization:

In light of recents event, I am starting an organization. As of now, I am the only member. But I intend to make shirts and membership cards and all kinds of stuff. The organization will be called M.A.R.S. It stands for:

M- Monotones

A- Against

R- Rude

S- Stereotyping

That is all. Its nice, short, sweet, and simple. And it gets the point across.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SteveRogers:
I am starting an organization. As of now, I am the only member.

It sounds like a very noble endeavor; more power to you.

On your college applications, you can state that you founded the group and that you were president of the club, or whatever. That ought to be worth something, no?

And I've said it before, and I'll say it again now: on Hatrack, you don't come across as monotonous. You are steady. And sweet.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

You can't hear my voice though. My voice is the problem.

I have a theory. I show no emotion in my voice for one of two reasons:

1) My vocal cords are permanently paralyzed.

2) If I show emotion in my voice, the universe as we know it will cease to exist in a civilized fashion.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Forgive me if I sound insensitive, but the whole point of all of this was to avoid teasing, right?

You will not accomplish this by starting a club.

If you feel the need to adjust people's misconceptions regarding your voice, do it to their faces. No need to be rude. Just tell that what they are saying offends you and tell them why.

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Like saying, "I have feelings, too, you know"?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

If you expect that sort of thing to really work, then you obviously haven't been to high school recently.
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I can't really tell from your post whether your voice is an actual medical problem or not. Have you seen a speech therapist? If it is a medical problem, a therapist may be able to help you. If it isn't an actual physical problem, any public speaking class should help with the lack of inflection. I could give you some excercises that might help, if you like.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Or you could take advantage of it. Say things like "when I am rich and powerful, I will have you flogged for the amusement of my helper monkeys."
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Or just learn a bunch of Steven Wright one-liners.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Club Motto:
"I'm a Monotone. I can not change that.
You are rude. You can change that.
Which of us has the problem?"

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by SteveRogers:
you obviously haven't been to high school recently.

Clearly. I did go to Back-to-School night recently, to meet my son's high school teachers. I guess that doesn't count, huh?
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, when you leave highschool you'll leave most of this sort of rubbish behind, if that's any help to you.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Dan- I rather like that. Mind if I steal it?

Tante- No. The teachers are very often unaware of a lot of the stuff that goes around. Or they're aware and can do very little about it becaues of poor adminstration. Both could be true in my school's case.

Teshi- That is unusually comforting.

Edit:

Tom, if I'm against stereotyping, do you think I'm seriously going to have helper monkeys? [Wink]

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Helper Monkeys -- they're real!
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, I'm recently out of high school. The thing I found worked best was always this:

When they start doing it, hold yourself with confidense, grin at them, wave them away cheerfully and say something along the lines of "Oh go jack off you morons." or "**** you too." cheerfully with a big grin on your face.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foundling
Member # 6348

- posted      Profile for foundling   Email foundling         Edit/Delete Post 
"They placed Hellion, the first monkey helper"

I know this is totally off topic, but isnt this a horrible name for a monkey helper? It's like naming a race horse Pokey, or a priest Demon Spawn. I dont know. I just get this mental image of an evil little monkey holding the remote control to some poor parapalegics wheelchair while while waiting for the light to change at a busy intersection. Yikes.

And, back on topic, I think your idea is GREAT, steve. My brother has an intensely monotone voice that gets him teased all the time. he's out of school now, but it was miserable for him while he was there.
I wish we had come up with such a creative idea for him [Smile]

Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
"When I am king you will be first against the wall with your opinions which are of no consequence at all."

I say don't worry about it. Your fellow high school students aren't going to appreciate your humor anyway and you won't influence anything, IMHO. That kind of retaliation just invites more stuff from them.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JemmyGrove
Member # 6707

- posted      Profile for JemmyGrove   Email JemmyGrove         Edit/Delete Post 
Would I have to be a monotone to join? [Wink] Could I become an honorary member?
Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

You don't HAVE to be monotone. But it would make more sense...

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.