FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » frozen banana help? I think the bananas won. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: frozen banana help? I think the bananas won.
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
anyone know a recipe for making chocolate covered frozen bananas?

[ October 16, 2005, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: Dan_raven ]

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
1) Chocolate
2) Bananas
3) Source of cold

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I would imagine you freeze the bananas out of their skins then melt the chocolate, dip the bananas in the chocolate then freeze them again and serve with icecream or something. How solid is a frozen banana?
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
A frozen banana is fairly solid. Seriously, here's how you do this:

1) Peel bananas to stem without removing peel
2) Put bananas in freezer
3) Heat chocolate
4) Dip peeled bananas in chocolate by stem
5) Return bananas -- still open -- to freezer
6) Remove bananas from freezer
7) Place in fridge and allow to thaw
8) Close bananas

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Why would you let them thaw???

No, you:

1) Peel bananas and discard peels.
2) Freeze (optional step before freezing: insert wooden sticks in one end).
3) Dip in melted chocolate (I actually prefer to use chunks of banana instead of whole ones, to improve the chocolate-to-banana ratio), and if desired in chopped nuts.
4) Freeze again (on a tray to catch the drips).
5) When solid, place in ziplock bag. Leave in freezer until ready to eat.
6) Enjoy!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Rocket Science it taint, but then, I never said I was a rocket scientist.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno if it's only 'cause they used liquid nitrogen or something that gets the bananas way colder than your freezer can, but everytime I've gotten frozen chocolate covered bananas on a stick at the fair they take them out of the freezer, dip them in the chocolate, and it solidifies almost instantly and they hand it right to you, no refreezing involved. Of course, they might also use a chocolate-type-substance that is more like that "magic shell" stuff.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
ElJay, that's how they do them at the little ice cream place I go to (there they are called moose antler's), but I know they use dry ice, so that could be it, they also use a magic shell stuff, so another that's it.

Probably the way rivka said it is best if you want them to be really frozen, and closer to Tom's way if you live so far north you wear sweatshirts on the 4th of july.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
You should mix a little tiny bit of oil in the melted chocolate so it won't separate in the freezer; since you're not just returning the chocolate to room temperature or a little colder, like with chocolate-dipped strawberries, it can cause the chocolate to not stick to the banana. You also only need to freeze the bananas about halfway, not until they're frozen solid all the way through, for it to work. (It'll work if you freeze them solid, but if you get impatient like me, you don't need to.)

Other than that, I agree with rivka's method.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

ElJay, you can do it that way at home if you plan to serve them immediately after chocolate dipping.

I often don't.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
The first thing that came to my mind when I saw this thread was, "Its a thread about 'Arrested Development'!" But it isn't.....
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
?
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
The frozen bananna stand in 'Arrested Development'?
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

"Why would you let them thaw???"

Because cold bananas are infinitely tastier than frozen bananas. [Wink]

Joldo
Member # 6991

If you let them thaw, then you get the sickly sweet taste of over-ripe bananas.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait, where are the salted pecans? Come on people, don't you know how to make frozen bananas?

You need to cut the end off the banana, stick a skewer or popcicle stick in them and freeze them. Take them out take the peel off and dip them in chocolate and other fun things, like cashews, pecans, or sprinkles and put them back in the freezer.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
*sings* Yes, we have no bananas...
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

Oooh, yummy.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Joldo:

Exactly!

And Kayla, I mentioned nuts.

Joldo
Member # 6991

Yes! I'm not the only one who hates those!

Tell me, does anyone else like bananas when they're still green and have a bit of a bite?

rivka
Member # 4859

Sometimes. [Smile]

Overripe bananas are good for one thing. Banana bread.

Wait, two things. They make yummy cookies too.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Peel a slightly over ripe banana (in the "freckle" stage), and break the banana in half. You can stick the popsicle stick in each half.

Wrap in Saran, or put it in a baggie, and freeze.

Dip in Chocolate Shell (the ice cream topping that hardens on contact with ice cream) and eat right away put it back in the freezer for later.

Do not thaw -- it would no longer be a frozen banana.

Frozen bananas without the chocolate coat make lovely banana milkshakes. Milk, frozen banana, a pinch on nutmeg, blended together. Your kids think you're giving them an ice cream treat -- but you know that it is healthful fruit and milk snack.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Adam. Feeling better?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Three. Emily's Banana Cake
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Originally posted by Joldo:

Exactly!

And Kayla, I mentioned nuts.

Just begging for OOC...

And I agree with the eat frozen crowd. Dealing with frozen then thawed bananas has almost caused me to stop eating them.

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't waste good chocolate on bananas! Bananas are nasty!
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Sorry, rivka. You're right. But "if desired" and "chopped nuts" aren't even close to "Are you crazy? You have to have salted pecans on chocolate covered bananas!!!" [Wink]
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I freeze bananas with liquid nitrogen all the time. Then I use the frozen banana to drive a sharp piece of rubber tubing into a piece of wood.

Oh, yeah, the rubber tubing has to be frozen with LN2 also.

And as soon as the banana thaws, it turns brown and yucky, no matter how fresh it was before it was frozen. I definitely wouldn't thaw a banana before I are it, unless I was putting it in banana bread or something.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Two words
Banana Pancakes.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Arnold:
I freeze bananas with liquid nitrogen all the time. Then I use the frozen banana to drive a sharp piece of rubber tubing into a piece of wood.

Are you a wacky science teacher, or just a kook?
Joldo
Member # 6991

I freeze bananas by ejecting them into the frigid vacuum of space, but whatever floats your boat . . .
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Nature abhors a vacuum.

I abhor a steam iron.

To each his (or her) own.

Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Tante,

Both, I guess.

Well, actually, I'm a math teacher. So maybe I'm just a kook.

Well, I used to work for an industrial gases company, and part of what I did was to perform a liquid nitrogen demonstration at schools and scout meetings and so forth. Since I left the company I don't have the demonstration kit anymore, but I can still do the banana. (I've got a couple of other demos that I've accumulated since then also, but it's not quite the same.)

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Kayla:
Sorry, rivka. You're right. But "if desired" and "chopped nuts" aren't even close to "Are you crazy? You have to have salted pecans on chocolate covered bananas!!!" [Wink]

That's true. But the word "crazy" rarely appears in any recipe I explain.
Kayla
Member # 2403

Crazy is a given in all my posts. [Big Grin]
rivka
Member # 4859

Only in some of mine. [Wink]
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Crazy Kayla

***WARNING***
Horribly designed Web Page Alert!

[/warning]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

That just ruined the name Kayla for me.

And we had so much trouble agreeing on a nice Irish middle name to go with "Bridget"! [Wall Bash]

*places curse on Tante*

rivka
Member # 4859

Ooh. What kind of curse?
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Wha..? I woke up this morning with my ankles swollen, a nauseated feeling, a backache, sore breasts, fatigue, an urge to pee all the time, and quite a bit of weight gain around my middle. And I figured that it is either something in the Hatrack water, or that sorceress ketchupqueen has placed a curse on me.

Now cut that out! [No No]

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Well it certainly wasn't caused by a frozen banana.
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
***WARNING***
Horribly designed Web Page Alert!

[/warning]

I guess that's a necessary warning around here now, huh?
[Razz]

Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I'll cut it out when we find a replacement name or I'm able to re-reconcile myself to Kayla. If you want this to happen sooner, you'd better find some good things about people named Kayla. [Razz]
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Uh, KQ, I TRIED. I really did. And what I found wasn't good. Google "Kayla" and prepare to be shocked at what pops up. I'm going to have to recommend a different name.

I like "Esther".

Or "Ruth" or "Naomi" or "Miriam".

Please lift the curse.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Nope.

Name must be Irish, and my husband and I must both agree on it. It must go well in between "Bridget" and "Hamilton". It may not start with an "S", a "B", an "H", or a vowel. This is the site where we originally found "Kayla". Good luck. [Mad]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

We are considering just using the original spelling given there, "Kyla".

I will let you know if and when you are off the hook.

(I wanted "Niamh", but my husband isn't into it. [Frown] )

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, I used to work for an industrial gases company, and part of what I did was to perform a liquid nitrogen demonstration at schools and scout meetings and so forth.
Dupont?

And a fourth use for overripe bananas is smoothies. They are sweeter, so this is the perfect app for them.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OSTY
Member # 1480

- posted      Profile for OSTY   Email OSTY         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Sometimes. [Smile]

I want a banana cookie recipe
Posts: 224 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

How many syllables in your last name KQ?
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:

Name must be Irish, and my husband and I must both agree on it. It must go well in between "Bridget" and "Hamilton". It may not start with an "S", a "B", an "H", or a vowel.

Within those parameters, I like "Margaret". Lots of good nicknames, too. Peggy, Meg, Maggie...

Second choice within your parameters, Rhiannon.

Is the curse lifted?

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.