FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What does LOTR and the Halo movie have in common?

Author Topic: What does LOTR and the Halo movie have in common?
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
The people involved. That's right. Peter Jackson is going to be an executive producer for the Halo movie in 2007. And WETA will be doing all the cool kinda stuff they did for LOTR, except for Halo.

If you didn't hear, Alex Garland (28 days later) is writing the script.

This is shapin up to be a rather unconventional video game movie. It's for the better.

Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh, are they going to shoot it in 'first person' style like they did with Doom? Even the trailer to that movie made me nauseated. Bleh.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
But LOTR and Doom both have Karl Urban.... *drool*
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm reserving judgement on the first person camera angles on Doom. I think, if done correctly, it could add to the movie and make it cooler. But if they do it too much it will get annoying and old very very fast.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about Doom because it has the Rock. And I don't really like the Rock, even though I liked the Rundown.

The Rock is not cool like, say, LL Cool J. [Big Grin]

But I have high hopes for the Halo movie now.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Every movie along these lines gives me hope that someday John Steakley's "Armor" will be made into a movie. For some reason, I think it would make a splendid one... provided it can convince people that it isn't Starship troopers.

For the moment, I'm looking forward to Halo. I'm reserving the right to change my mind though.

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
I hate videogame movies. Why not write a new story that maybe has some of the same elements but don't focus on it, and maybe write some characters too?

Video games are just now starting to get real writers to work on things.

Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my. I need to sit down.

I am sitting. I need to stand up.

*goes to pace*

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this ISN'T going to be your run of the mill video game movie though. Bungie has emphasized that they are VERY involved in not allowing Halo to become a crappy peice of sh*t. They are also very devoted to their fans, and they know what they don't want the movie to end up like.
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
hmm, I might play some halo tonight in honor of Jackson. [Smile]
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
But who needs a Halo movie when you have Red vs Blue?

The Doom trailer made me nauseous, but it had nothing to do with motion sickness.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
I'm reserving judgement on the first person camera angles on Doom. I think, if done correctly, it could add to the movie and make it cooler. But if they do it too much it will get annoying and old very very fast.

It was annoying and old after two seconds. And that was just in the trailer.

Actually, that's not true. I'd used the phrases "embarrassingly silly" and "laughably bad" instead.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen first person visuals in plenty of movies that wasn't stupid. It's been done in Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, and a ton of other widely celebrated movies, and it worked very well.

Red vs. Blue is awesome btw [Smile] Kudos Enigmatic.

I will rent Doom when it comes out, but like most movies of that genre, the trailer didn't earn a movie visit from me.

As for Halo, it has more potential, it actually has some plot to it. Many video games these days actually play out like movies, like the Bond games, I'll be surprised if they don't try and use those for movies, and the Final Fantasy games. Final Fantasy actually WAS made into a movie. There's worth there, you just have to find it.

I first discovered the Shadowrun books through videogames. That's a series that would make a fantastic television show (or movie in the future) if someone good did it.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.