FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Not a good day for asthma. (Or, you know, people with houses in the way.)

Author Topic: Not a good day for asthma. (Or, you know, people with houses in the way.)
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
We've been seeing this smoke for days. And smelling it. The Santa Anas we've been having (harsh, strong, dry, gusty winds) are really fueling this thing. [Frown]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
The fire in Chatsworth is in areas I am very familiar with. The place they said it started, right off the 118 and Topanga Canyon Blvd. is exactly where we would always get off the freeway on the way into the San Fernando Valley from Simi, and before that it was where the old road over the pass came down out of the hills. We used to go through Box Canyon all the time, as well. And I heard earlier today that they had evacuated or were thinking about evacuating Susana Knolls. There's a park there I used to go to all the time, and that's where the Little League team my dad coached when I was little played their games. Also, the church where one of my cousins got married is in that area.

We went through several fires during the time we lived in Simi, so I remember the way that goes very well. I even remember one time, when I was junior high, when Simi was completely surrounded by fire and no one could get in or out of the valley for over 24 hours.

It's just been really hard for me to hear the reports on the news about this.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I even remember one time, when I was junior high, when Simi was completely surrounded by fire and no one could get in or out of the valley for over 24 hours.

I'm not sure if it's the same time, but I remember a time when Simi Valley was surrounded by fire, too. I was a lot younger than Jr. High, though.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Some of my students (who come in daily from Agoura) haven't been able to come to school the last couple days. The relevant parts of the freeway are closed, apparently.

I hope they get this out soon. And I pray we do not have a fire season like the last one.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Those harsh, strong, dry, gusty winds have been blowing that smoke toward us. I couldn't take the kids out to the park today, or even into the back yard. Not as bad as the Somis fire two (?) years ago, but still pretty bad.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

We're within several miles of where the fire started. We were glad when they got that contained and out, but unfortunately, by then it had spread north. [Frown]
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
Not to make light of the situation (since it is quite bad), but it's never a good day for asthma.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Not true. There are some days that are lovely for my asthma; right after rain but given enough time to dry out is one. Dry, clean, clear air... aaaah!
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never had a pleasant day with asthma. Even at my best, I breathe almost like a normal person.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.