FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How to pay authors

Author Topic: How to pay authors
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
I contribute to a poker-related website and recently we received a solicitation letter from an author asking for a chance to write articles for us.

I was wondering what is a good going rate for writers for hobby magazines. This guy has written for a lot of decent poker publications and websites. However, his writing credentials does not extend to mainstream press and he has not written for the top magazine in our industry, Cardplayer.com.

Should we tell him our rate per word or do I ask him what his rate is?

What's considered a decent offer (I don't want to offend him)? Please keep in mind that this is only for web publication only. [Smile]

Do I tell him what topics to write about or does he come up with the topics?

Thanks guys! [Smile]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
When I used to write freelance, there were some per-word contracts, and some flat rate. Personally, I preferred the flat rate (I would submit the article for their approval, and if they liked it, they would offer a flat rate of $xxx to use it for their publication.)

This prevents the unsightly habit of getting too "wordy" in an article only to get paid more per word (unless you are giving him a word limit).

This is what I would do. Say "well, submit an article, or an article idea for review, and if we approve it, we will make you an offer for that article" and take it one article at a time. That way if he ever submits something you really think is bad, you can refuse it easier.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Thanks Farmgirl, that's a very good idea. [Smile]

What is a good flat rate for a freelancer, if you don't mind me asking.

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I don't know the going rate, since I got out of that field.

I think the last flat rate I received was for a short feature piece for our state magazine. It ended up being one page (this was an actual glossy magazine), w/picture. So not a lot of word count. I earned $200 for that piece.

Kind of depends on who is paying, not-for-profits usually pay a little less -- those with a broader audience pay more. I think I have earned as much as $800 on an article, and as little as free.

I haven't done web articles (I have a friend who keeps trying to get me to write for his web site, but I never have time), which is a national audience, so I don't know what that rate would be.

A co-worker of mine does, though, I think -- he does reviews for certain programming books. I can ask him (but not today, he's off today)

Farmgirl

[ September 23, 2005, 05:18 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Wow, $800. That's very impressive Farmgirl. [Smile]

If you get a chance to talk with you co-worker later next week, that'll be great. Thanks!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.