FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Terms of Service for Hatrack (please review)

Author Topic: Terms of Service for Hatrack (please review)
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Fellow Hatrackers:

Below is the agreement you "signed" when you registered. Please review it, especially the highlighted parts. The vast majority of people here are endeavoring to build a civil and close community of people who -- although they may disagree on some matters -- always each strive to "speak with passion and listen with respect." That is great. It should always be this way.

Of course, there may be some issues about which one is so emotional that one is unable to remain a respectful demeanor. This is the case for me, sometimes. At those times, I shut the heck up.

Sometimes that means I turn off the computer, sometimes it means I vacate that thread, and sometimes it means I give myself a time-out from Hatrack until I can once again be a civil participant. I find Word Mojo Gold to be a very useful time-out activity.

You are welcome to be creative in your own attempt to abide by the contract under which you registered.

I'm not going to point fingers. I don't think that would be helpful or necessary, and I would have to give myself a time-out if I said what I was thinking. However, I think reviewing the TOS is a useful and helpful thing for us all to do every so often. Thanks to all of those who view this reminder as an opportunity for self-reflection and improvement. To all of those who may find it annoying, I apologize. I also ask you to reread it, anyway.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rules, Policies, and Disclaimers

If you agree to abide by our rules below, please press the Agree button, which will enable you to register on this message board. If you do not agree to these terms, press the Cancel button.

Considering the real-time nature of this bulletin board, it is impossible for us to review messages or confirm the validity of information posted. Please remember that we do not actively monitor the contents of this BB and are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this BB. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary. This is a manual process, however, so please realize that we may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this BB to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law. You also agree that you will not use this forum to try to convert people to your own religious beliefs, or to disparage others for their own religious beliefs. You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this BB.

Although we do not and cannot review the messages posted and are not responsible for the content of any of these messages, we reserve the right to delete any message for any or no reason whatsoever. You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold harmless this BB (and any owners of this BB) and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your message(s).

We also reserve the right to reveal your identity (or whatever information we know about you) in the event of a complaint or legal action arising from any message posted by you.

Please note that advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are inappropriate in this BB.

[Bold and italics added. --CT]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
*stricken*

It wasn't me, was it?

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
*sings*

"You're so vain
You probably think this thread is about you..."

[Wink] j/k kq

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
So we're at this point in the cycle again. [Smile]
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
*cries*

*reads j/k*

Oh. [Wink]

No, seriously, I read this and had to go over my last hundred or so posts making sure I'm not being offensive again... I've not been feeling well, and I tend to get grumpy. I hope I haven't hurt any feelings.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
I guess this is my cue to take down the "All of your religions are crazy" thread...
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
kq, no. But it doesn't matter. It really doesn't matter.

We should all be on our best behavior here, no? And if one feels one is not, then one can work on that. Surely nobody needs my approval or disapproval to engage in self-reflection. *grin

Look, I've been a real jerk here before. I was -- thankfully -- forgiven, and I benefitted from a time-out back then. I have an abiding belief in the civilizing effect of this place on those who participate. Perhaps the most civilized effect is that most of us who've been here awhile learn how to avoid participating in conversations when we would be making disrespectful, harrassing, and hateful remarks. That is different from disagreeing or even arguing civilly.

I'm going to stop here, because I cannot be more clear without saying names. And I don't want to do that, because I think it would be counter-productive. It also doesn't matter who I had in mind when I went back to review the TOS. When I did, it reminded me of my responsibilities to this community.

Time for my own time-out at this point, or I will say something I regret. [Smile] But I'll mosey back in another time. Take care, all.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Edited to add:

afr, Yup. There is nothing new under the sun. [Wink]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, provided that "religious beliefs" can be interpretted "religious beliefs or lack thereof," since there's just as much bashing and criticism of the non-religious as there is of any particular religious group here, if not more.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
We have all..or at least most of us...had times where we went a little too far, or offended people without intending.

I have actually offended people on purpose, because I was sick of their crap, and tired of letting it continue. Not often, I hope, but it has happened.

I won't even say it is always wrong...but it should be a last resort, and to be honest usually we would be better off taking CT's advice.

[Big Grin]

As usual. [Wink]

But we should try to remember that we are all here by choice, and this site is what we make of it.

For better or worse...although I am NOT waiting for Death to part us. [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Not having religious beliefs (as in believing in a soecific religion, or in any religion at all) doesn't preclude having beliefs on religion.

As long as those beliefs are expressed tactfully, and with respect towards others beliefs regarding the same topic, I can't see a problem.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
lthough I am NOT waiting for Death to part us.
Quite right. We will continue to haunt you long after we (or you) are gone.

Once a Jatraquero...

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

lol
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
kq, I read your post....and I'm sorry I had to laugh. You are one of the nicest posters I read on this forum. Me, on the other hand.....just hope I wasn't drinking. I have had some tonight, but not too much. Weddings are so much fun when they have an open bar. [Smile]
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
Can I still troll ?
Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting. From what I've seen, this forum is one of the best on the internet in regards to that sort of behavior.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BunnV
Member # 6816

- posted      Profile for BunnV   Email BunnV         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ricree101:
Interesting. From what I've seen, this forum is one of the best on the internet in regards to that sort of behavior.

I agree. I often find myself in other forums and notice the quality and behavior is nowhere near as good as it is here. And I'll close that site and log on to this one. [Wink]

The agreement said no "sexually oriented" material. To what degree does that apply? I've noticed there is sexually related posts on this forum, are those breaking the rules? I'm sure scientific stuff is an exception.

[ September 24, 2005, 07:09 AM: Message edited by: BunnV ]

Posts: 326 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Bunn, you can always use the "report post" button, it looks like a whistle kind of thing, if you feel a post is to sexually oriented for you.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BunnV
Member # 6816

- posted      Profile for BunnV   Email BunnV         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pooka:
Bunn, you can always use the "report post" button, it looks like a whistle kind of thing, if you feel a post is to sexually oriented for you.

Oh, pooka, I didn't mean to imply I was offended by anything, I was just curious as to whether or not it would be breaking the rules, in the event that, say, I were interested in posting a scientific article on something that was sexually related.

Thanks for your concern, though. [Smile]

Posts: 326 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.