FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I love having connections...

Author Topic: I love having connections...
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
...it makes life so much easier when you're doing a project for your music seminar class, and you need help doing the research... so you just e-mail Douglas Hofstadter, your neighbor. [Big Grin]

Not only that, but he replies, and actually knows who you are, and is more than willing to help.

I just thought I'd mention.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
Gee, I wish he'd been my neighbor when I was working on my music major. Think of all the help on essays.....
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
It is nice knowing people. That's how I get all the major stuff done.

Truck
Me: May I speak to Jon please?
Secretary: How do you know him by his first name?
Me: He's my grandfather's cousin.

Insurance
Me: Hi Kathy. How're the kids?
Kathy: Great. What can I do for you?

after insurance is set up
Kathy: Tell your parents I said hi and to come over sometime.
Me: Will do.

[Smile]

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
I got to check out sheet music from UofL's music library through a sort of connection. My viola teacher (private lassons, not through the school) went with me, and when they queastioned her about checking out sheet music when she had books over due, she just had them ask the head of the music department if it was ok, and while they were at it, to tell her she said "hi mom".
Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I deliberately avoid using any connections I may have nowadays. I used them so often when I was a journalist that I felt like I'd left a greasy stain on the universe.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
I deliberately avoid using any connections I may have nowadays. I used them so often when I was a journalist that I felt like I'd left a greasy stain on the universe.

You did, Tom....that was your job. [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*blink* I love learning new things about old Hatrackers. When/where were you a journalist, Tom?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
Connections are wonderful...

ME: I'd love to meet Jimmy Carter!
Friend: Okay. Let me ask my dad to ask my uncle Jalal (Talabani) if I can bring a friend to dinner.

Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
What was Carter like in person?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
All my best connections are right here on Hatrack [Smile] .
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

Very affable. The difficulty in talking to him lies in mustering the courage to say anything at all.
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I can understand that. How's his health, do you know? He isn't exactly a young man these days.

Teshi, I know what you mean.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

He seemed fine to me, although I must admit that I didn't ask.
Noemon
Member # 1115

Yeah, I didn't imagine that you would have; I was talking more about what you'd observed.
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

Soft-spoken, but not noticeably so until you reflect on the conversation. I think the reason stems from the fact that people just naturally stop talking to listen to him.
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Raia- He's famous? I didn't even know that. I used to play with his kids when we were little.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Haha, yeah... he wrote Goedel, Escher, Bach which is genius in musical/academic circles. If you have interest in music, mathematics, or anything even remotely related, it's really brilliant. It made him famous, but really only to people in similar academic areas. He's not a celebrity, or anything, but every academic and student of those topics knows who he is.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.