FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » We've got to say good-bye

Author Topic: We've got to say good-bye
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
For the summer .

Summer ended today. Goodbye Summer. Until springtime, the days will be shorter than the nights. Darkness is overtaking us.

Join me in the Dark Side.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parsimony
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for Parsimony           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what you are talking about. It was 97 degrees today. Seems like summer to me.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for reminding me! I nearly missed it!

EDIT: Erm, not the summer. The equinox. [Smile]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if you can't trust the government on this, then what CAN you trust the government about?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing. They're the government. I thought it was their job to lie to us. Isn't it?
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parsimony
Member # 8140

I know a trick question when I see one, Tante.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Would you trust the folks at Astro Utah?
Parsimony
Member # 8140

Senator Hatch is from Utah, and based on him alone, I make it a rule to never trust anything from Utah. [Smile]

--ApostleRadio

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Wikipedia thinks so, too.
Parsimony
Member # 8140

Ok, I give in. Summer is over.

But it's still hot.

--ApostleRadio

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Bye summmer
You will not be missed.
It leaves and takes away those darn mosquitos and wasps.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Parsimony:
I don't know what you are talking about. It was 97 degrees today. Seems like summer to me.

--ApostleRadio

It was hot here today, too. 91 F for the high. On the other hand, that's only something like two or three degrees above the normal for this time of year here, so I have no trouble believing that autumn is here.

And what I have to say to summer is...good bye, good luck, good riddance. [Wave] I never have liked summer, anyway.

Now, when can we get rid of daylight savings time?

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I've been saving my daylight for months now. I just have to figure out where to keep it all...
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Summer ended for me when school began -- two weeks ago. [Razz]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

So you're lighting Shabbos candles earlier than every one else?
rivka
Member # 4859

Well, yes and no. Earlier than you on the clock, but later actual in actual passage of time.

But that's still later than NYC, and we all know "everyone" lives there. [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

"Everyone" who is "anyone" [Wink]

I actually live in New Jersey. That's where "everyone" who is "no one" lives. [Wink] [Wink]

Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Mabon to anyone who celebrates it!
Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

<-- Not a Wiccan
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
"Everyone" who is "anyone" [Wink]

I actually live in New Jersey. That's where "everyone" who is "no one" lives. [Wink] [Wink]

Piffle. You're an easy commute away, so you can be a "somebody" whenever you feel like it.

I tend to only be "somebody" briefly every few years, but I prefer it that way. [Big Grin]

Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not just Wiccans. Most Pagans celebrate or acknowledge it, as do many who simply follow a basic season-based spirituality without necessarily any magic or deities.
Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

To a New Yorker, I'm a "B and T" (not to be confused with BT, which, by the way, I am also). That is "Bridge and Tunnel", i.e., a non-Manhattanite. Definitely lower in status.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

<-- also not a Pagan
rivka
Member # 4859

True enough, Tante. But I'm a *drops voice to a whisper* out-of-towner! [Eek!]
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

But don't the California people constantly go to parties with all the Hollywood stars? Drive around in top-down convertables waving to (imaginary) adoring fans? Drink boutique bottled water and get important calls from their agents?

I imagine a sort of panache in the South California people that you don't see in New Jersey.

andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot to stand an egg on its end!!!! Now I'll have to wait until spring!
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Or you could do it... any other day of the year. [Razz]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I keep all my eggs standing on end all year long. It's the only way they'll fit into the carton.
andi330
Member # 8572

No, no, on the pointy end!!!!
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

It would have been easier!!!
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
It topped a 100 degrees here. Still cooler than my old home in Texas. Nothing like the fall season in Houston. Triple digits and scary pollution.
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
But don't the California people constantly go to parties with all the Hollywood stars? Drive around in top-down convertables waving to (imaginary) adoring fans? Drink boutique bottled water and get important calls from their agents?

I imagine a sort of panache in the South California people that you don't see in New Jersey.

One second. [ROFL]

Ok, I think I'm over it. No, wait. [Laugh]

Let me put it this way. I have a distinct memory of attending a then-brand-new summer camp in the Catskills and telling my bunkmates that I was from Los Angeles.

Them: *wide-eyed* There are JEWS there? Frum ones? [Razz]

It is not the last time I have gotten a similar reaction. An awful lot of frumme Yidden seem to have taken that old New Yorker cartoon a little too much to heart.

Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
<-- not a Wiccan. Any more.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
Well if summer is over will someone please tell whomever controls the weather for Tucson? Its still hitting 100 degrees here!

<<<would really like to believe summer is over

Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
divaesefani
Member # 3763

- posted      Profile for divaesefani   Email divaesefani         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by andi330:
It would have been easier!!!

It would not have been easier. Trust Me!
Posts: 161 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.