FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Microsoft Word Question

Author Topic: Microsoft Word Question
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
When you do a spell/grammar check (this is always my last resort when editing, but sometimes it is helpful) and you choose to ignore something (such as a proper name) then save the file and send it to someone else, will the 'squiggles' appear under the names when the other person opens the files?

I was under the impression that ignoring something from a spellcheck and saving it only tells the version of Word on your own comp how to regard that word or name, but that other people opening the file would have their own Word dictionary settings and so forth.

So, what is the answer? if 'Thaddeus Andropoulous' is identified by my copy of Word as a possible misspelling and I 'ignore' it, will the person who recieves the file on disc or by email see a red squiggle unerneath it if they have their spell/grammar turned on?

If 'Thaddeus Amndropoulous' is added to my custom dictionary, does that make a difference?

I thought I knew the answer, but I'm being told differently. Is this something that might be different from one version of Word to another?

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I put a document with ignored mispelled words on the network share, and opened it from a different computer. No squiggly lines.

I wonder if the squiggly lines represent a tag; and clicking Ignore takes off the tag; saving it and transferring it somewhere else wouldn't put the tag back on. . .

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

But if you emailed it to someone not your network... squiggles or no?

And what version are you using?

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's my understanding:

If you tell the spell checker to ignore a word and then save the document, the document will continue to ignore that word. Saving a word to your custom dictionary does not save a word to the document. Squiggles only appear if Word is set to check spelling and grammar as you type.

I don't if any of these things vary from one version to another.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
At work, I get some Word documents sent to me as email attachments. I get the squiggles when I open the document, and I know that the folk sending did the spell check thing.

Our company newsletter gets sent that way, for us to print out and disseminate. I find it all too tempting to edit the newsletter subtly with hilarious results.

No one seems to be able to figure out that I'm the culprit, but they seem to enjoy the underground version that surfaces from time to time.

Don't tell on me.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
This is one reason I like OpenOffice better then msword. When I email a document, I save (export) it as a pdf file. That way there are no red lines or any other distracting formatting residue (ie resume) from setting up my document.
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
And it is harder for people to sabotage your documents.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah - what Jon Boy said -- the attributes of the spell check (ignore, etc.) travel with the document, is the way it has always worked in my experience.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

See... My boss was displeased with my work on a final report document, because when opened it, it had squiggles. I know I dealt with all the squiggles in what I had sent him, but he was upset that he had to do it again before he could save the document to the CDROM he was giving the client.

My understanding was that, as long as the person opening the document isn't running the same copy of ms word as you are over a network, AND they have their copy set to check spelling and grammar, the squiggles appear.

So I think the client gets an MS Word document that will still show squiggles when he opens it (if his/her grammar/spellcheck is turned on).

Which is why I think he should give the client a PDF version on cd, instead of an MS word version.

However, if I'm wrong (and once spell-checked a document remains spell-checked no matter where it is opened), then it doesn't matter.

I'm just trying to figure out how to avoid squiggles, since my boss is so averse to them (and they seem to re-appear when he opens the files, even though I run a spell/grammar check (only after several line readings on paper, because I'm obsessive like that)before I send it back to him.

My first reaction was that he was an idiot to think that spell-checking a doc means there will no longer be squiggles no matter where the doc is opened, because it has never worked that way for me when editing other people's fiction. I still get proper name squiggles and such.

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Ugh. If you're going to be burning documents onto CD and sending them to a client, they should definitely be something like PDF. At the very least, it should be saved in reading layout so that it looks more like a PDF.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Yergh. Your boss expects there to be no squiggles on your Word documents?

coughANALcough

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Pointy-Haired Boss: "Carol, come here! All of my words have squiggles under them!"

Carol: "The software is telling you that every sentence you wrote has bad grammar. Press F1 for help and . . . it's a third grade enrollment form."

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

If it bothers him that much (the squiggles) just turn off the spell/grammar check in his Word! Have him never see squiggles again!

So which version you running? Word 2000 or 2003?

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Olivet:
My understanding was that, as long as the person opening the document isn't running the same copy of ms word as you are over a network, AND they have their copy set to check spelling and grammar, the squiggles appear.

This is my understanding and experience as well.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
That is what happenes for me, and always has with Word.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

I have Word 2003, but I think he may have something newer, because I couldn't open his documents when he sent them to me. I had to open them on Ron's computer, and share it back over the network.

Anyway, Thanks. That is prettymuch what I thought. He was so upset aboutthe squiggles because he had to go through and get rid of them so the client wouldn't see them in his copy (even though I had gotten rid of them in my copy), but I honestly believe the client will see squiggles anyway. Most of the 'mistakes' he found were squiggles, though he did mention a repeated word. I think it may have been a 'had had'.

I think I just got chewed out for nothing. >_< I mean, really NOTHING, not the "oh, that's nothing" kind of nothing, but the kind of nothing that exists in my boss' brain.

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Olivet -- I just checked with a moderator at Woody's Lounge (http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/wwwthreads.pl) who is the expert of the experts on Office, and he said while he couldn't point me to the documentation on Microsoft's site saying that the spelling/grammar check moves with the document, he says "but since Do Not Check Spelling or Grammar is a Font attribute it seems obvious"

You have Word 2003, which is the NEWEST release (unless you have a Beta of their Office 12) and since you are saying that sometimes you can't open his files, I am wondering whether he has Microsoft Word at all, or a clone (like Open Office or Works) that doesn't recognize the font attributes you have already assigned to the document.

FG

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I have Word 2003, but I think he may have something newer, because I couldn't open his documents when he sent them to me.

Word 2003 is the latest release. One reason you might not be able to open his files: he could be using the new security features in Office 2003, which encrypt files using a shared server key. If you don't have access to that server key, you can't open the file.

It's more likely that he doesn't have the latest version of Word, which would explain your other problems, too.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

So, Farmgirl says the spell/grammar check travels with the document, so that when it is sent as an attachment and opened on a new person's computer (not using the same Word keys over a network or the same business key) the proper names that have been 'ignored' should be ignored no matter where the document is opened.

Several other people seem to to think the opposite (which has also been my experience).

So... could somebody email me a document which has had the squiggles 'ignored' out of it so we can give it a field test?

rivka
Member # 4859

Sure, Olivia. How long would you like it to be?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BunnV
Member # 6816

- posted      Profile for BunnV   Email BunnV         Edit/Delete Post 
Is this an all text document? does the person you're sending the document to still need to edit the content after it is sent to them?

I ask this because everytime I make flyers in word I convert the text to picture for easier handeling and formatting, and that takes the squiggly lines away from the document.

You can hightlight everything, Cut, then go to "Edit", select "Paste Special," and select "Picture," and OK.

This works fine for plain text on my word even before I chose to ignore the squiggly lines, they don't appear after you paste it back into word as a picture.

Cons: It might not work if your document is more than one page. In that case you might have to do it for each page individually.

Some suggestions: if you try this method, make sure you save the orignial first so you don't lose anything in case the pasting decides do something weird. Also, you don't have to do it to the entire document, you can just select the chunk of text that's being squiggly.

Hope this helps!

[ September 18, 2005, 02:03 AM: Message edited by: BunnV ]

Posts: 326 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BunnV
Member # 6816

I made 2 sample documents using the above method for you and I uploaded them to my FTP space. You can view them here.

http://www.hometown.aol.com/bunnv/documents/

Posts: 326 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Bunn. I opened them. No squiggles. And when I ran it through my spellchecker, it found no problems.
rivka
Member # 4859

That because he made both into images. So your spell-check no longer sees any words.

That is very clever, and I didn't know you could do that. *files away for future reference*

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you tell the spell checker to ignore a word and then save the document, the document will continue to ignore that word.
This is not my experience, and I notice it a lot. I take all my notes in MS Word, and most case names have a word not in the dictionary. I ignore it, and then I have to do it next class even though I've saved the document.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Hmm... we tried it on several machines at work after Olivet's initial posting. Once I had spell-checked the document and saved it (even if I hit "ignore" on incorrectly spelled words) -- when the other person opened it, there were no squiggles. We are all running either Word 2000 or Word 2003, and that is how it worked every time we tested it.

So this is a very interesting thread to me, because I'm one of the major Office software tech support people on staff. I sure would like to hear how it works for everyone else.

Farmgirl

rivka
Member # 4859

Farmgirl, are all the machines you checked it with on the same network?
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I just checked, and it definitely does not save the words I tell it to ignore.

This is using the right click option in the document, not the Spell Check menu item.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BunnV
Member # 6816

If worse comes to worse, when your boss isn't looking, just turn off your boss's Word's capabititly to show the squiggly lines at all. [Evil]

Tools>Options>Spelling and Grammar:

and uncheck/check all that apply. Hee hee hee. [Cool]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

quote:
Farmgirl, are all the machines you checked it with on the same network?
Yes, they are.

So that should be my next test -- I'll create a document, spell-check it, and then e-mail it to myself at home (where I have Word 2000) and see what happens.

FG

Olivet
Member # 1104

Sorry. I have retreated from the online thing a bit, since I am away from home. I appreciate all your help. Thanks!
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:

That is very clever, and I didn't know you could do that. *files away for future reference*

BunnV is the Microsoft master! [Hail] He can make Microsoft software do things nobody else can make it do! [Smile]

<takes a tiny bit of credit for helping to test this concept>

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.