FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Great Hatrack Debate II [Electoral College] (Hobbes style)

Author Topic: The Great Hatrack Debate II [Electoral College] (Hobbes style)
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't mean to step on Blayne's toes, but I loved the style of the first Hatrack debate that Hobbes started. So, I would love to host a debate on the subject:

quote:
The Electoral College: Eliminate, Replace, or Keep.
The Rules: as created by Hobbes

• If you wish to participate write a one paragraph summary of your position (doesn’t have to be elegant but say something, you’re not a politician, make a definitive position)
  • I will pick two participants myself though I will accept input from others.
  • On the first available date for all three of us, we will begin the debate which will have limits on time and word count.
  • The format will be: I as the moderator (or perhaps panelists, depending on how many people are interested) ask questions of one debater, and then give a chance for response and then for rebuttal. This will continue for a specific amount of questions (besides being even, I have not yet set this number

All who would like to participate, please post a paragraph (approx.) declaring your position in the most adamant way possible (not necessarily rude, but you’ll be chosen largely on your ability to not share someone else’s opinion).

Hobbes (by way of Lyrhawn)

The only amendment I offer, is that Bokonon moderate with me, if he so chooses to. As my opposing debator in the previous Great Hatrack Debate, I thought it might be a cool tradition if the former opponents came together in the next debate to be co-moderators.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
*bump*
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
I am no means ready to defend any position I have. But I'll just throw in my opinion since nobody else is.

I think electoral college should be done away with because I think vote swapping will get very organized in the next election and it essentailly defeats the purpose of the electoral college.

Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.