FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Back Pain...and an MRI on Monday

Author Topic: Back Pain...and an MRI on Monday
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Just when everything seems to finally be going our way, with an exciting move to FL, a new job waiting that pays better than this one...

I throw my back out, bad.

I had hurt it setting up my dad's retirement party and then breaking it down the next day. I didn't fall or do anything specific, but it was bad enough to make me miss a day of work, which I don't do often.

It was feeling OK, by the time we went to FL for JenniK's audition/vacation, but sitting in those plane seats did me in...I had a really sore back the whole trip. I hate taking meds, but I was taking some of my old pain meds just to sleep...(things I have taken before, nothing dangerous. [Big Grin] )

A few weeks go by and I feel fine, not even a little stiff or sore, and then we have our goodbye picnic. I was beiding over to pick up a frisbee that had landed to short, and when I straightened up my legs almost collapsed. Lower back pain between L4 and L5...

I missed three days of work, when I can't afford to miss even one at this point, and went to two doctors...

I had full x-rays done, with inconclusive findings, so I am schedualed for an MRI at 6:30 am on Monday.

Did I mention I am closterphobic?

Not good, not good at all. [Frown]

It seems to be getting better, slowly, but that is what I though the last two times. I only ahve two weeks of health coverage left too, so this needs to get done ASAP...I just hope I don't need surgery. If I do I hope I can get it within the two weeks, [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, dear!
Can you take a sedative for the MRI? I couldn;t, and it was awful. I had to do the meditation thing, or my version, anyway.
If I can help, let me know!

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Thanks for the offer, but I think I am OK...I am closterphobic, but not so much that I can't do this, I think. If it is too much, they have an open air one...it doesn't take as good of a pic, but good enough for a back scan they said. [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Me, too. The secret for me was to close my eyes and not let myself touch the sides. I have pretty broad shoulders, so they would touch the cylinder unless I hunched them up a little. Mine was a brain scan, so it didn't affect the picure; you might not be able to do that.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, you live in Massachusetts, don't you, which should make you fairly safe from this.

It would be much worse for you if you were claustrophobic. The MRI machine can get a bit cozy.

Seriously, if it is a problem for you, have them premedicate you with an anti-anxiety medication, like Ativan.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Hope you feel better soon, Kwea!!
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parsimony
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for Parsimony           Edit/Delete Post 
That stinks, Kwea. I have had several MRI's for back problems in the past, and while I am not claustrophobic, they are quite boring. GOod Luck and I hope you feel better.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have to hold your breath for an MRI?

I know I did with my CAT scan. Best part was that it was so early in the morning and I had a Very Hard Time Concentrating (didn't take adderall). So, I'd be instructed to hold my breath, I'd do so, then my thoughts would wander as I stared at the red light bulb on the ceiling and I'd forget I was supposed to hold my breath. o_O

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mackillian:
Do you have to hold your breath for an MRI?

Yeep, I hope not. The MRI on my knee had some scans that lasted 15-20 minutes.
Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it depends on what the scan, um, scans. Mine was for my chest, abdomen, and pelvis. No blur means no movement.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parsimony
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for Parsimony           Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't hold my breath for my back MRI scans. If I were required to, I would die since it lasted about a half hour.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

quote:
Mine was a brain scan, so it didn't affect the picure; you might not be able to do that.
Did they find one? [Wink]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.