FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Constructive criticism on graphics needed.

Author Topic: Constructive criticism on graphics needed.
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Look at this new layout I created, http://www.etemenanki.info/briah/

I would like your imput as to how I can make it better, what do you guys think?
The picture is kinda scary, I know, but I just love the artistic value in it!

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if it's a browser thing (I'm using Safari), but under 'Credits', I can't see your name unless my mouse is hovering over it.

Edit: Actually, I can't see any of the links. They blend in with the background.

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
It works best with IE, because I'm using layer transparency.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Run your code through a validator and fix the errors, its seriously mangled. Also, make sure you enclose paragraphs of text with p tags, and don't use a p tag to make a header, use one of the header tags.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

OK!!
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Text needs to be bigger, IMO.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
The text was hard to read, and sort of grainy...Nice pic though...

Maybe make the background to the text blocks a dark color, to teh text will show up better?

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
From a strict design standpoint, it feels a little heavy to the left side of the screen. It would even things out a little to put the shoutbox on the left with the graphic closer to the center of the screen.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kettricken
Member # 8436

- posted      Profile for Kettricken   Email Kettricken         Edit/Delete Post 
The grainy grey background makes the text very difficult to read especially where it is also over the image. There are some boxes that appear to be links, but they have nothing to say what they link to.

On the right when you hover the mouse over the links they get crossed out ā€“ is this intentional? It looks odd.

Posts: 169 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
ooooooooh shiny....
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
And the target market has weighed in. Looks like you're fine, Alt.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladyday
Member # 1069

- posted      Profile for ladyday   Email ladyday         Edit/Delete Post 
I very much dig the art [Big Grin] . Just fyi, I use firefox. Might want to put a note or something that says best viewed in IE, though I would suggest...making it work in other browsers.

There's some jazz on the page that I think is not really needed; this is personal preference, but while changing one's cursor might be...I don't know, trendy?...it's not something I dig because the cursor now looks like I'm holding down my scroll button. Maybe I'm just a cranky old person, but the different cursor is just...different, it doesn't add anything to the page.

What I am assuming is navigation (I initially thought it was form fields) is showing up as little white boxes. They do not change on rollover in firefox.

You have some lovely type graphics, but the nice sense of typography isn't carrying over into the copy elements, which are difficult to read. The scan line graphics should be more subtle with less contrast to make the text stand out. I might consider going to something larger and sans serif. The background graphics for the headings would probably be better served without that particular border; I personally find it distracting. Also, you may want to go with more of the blue grey for the scanline graphics.

And...I'm going to shamelessly whore again. The board some friends and I run mafia games on is actually an art board where people -love- to give constructive critism. You are more than welcome to post over there and get more helpful thoughts on the layout; I think there are lots of people over there who could offer up helpful suggestions, particuarly in the technical department.

The URL is www.theangrycrayon.com. Ummm...warnings for...everything, we use some language over there. The board is lightly moderated, though , no flames no hate.

Posts: 1676 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
It's...busy.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's a bit hypocritical of you to admonish people to not steal anything from the site when you've shamelessly lifted your main graphic element from somewhere else.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladyday
Member # 1069

- posted      Profile for ladyday   Email ladyday         Edit/Delete Post 
The link to www.animevisions.net isn't working, either because that site is down or because the url is incorrect.

Might be a little hasty to say that the image was "shamelessly lifted" if that site's policy is that you can use the images as long as you give credit, though for karma's sake I would include the artist and a more direct link to the original.

Posts: 1676 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
Using IE, the tiny grainy text is near impossible to read (possible changing the size and color only would correct this). Also the links just show up as white boxes. Otherwise the look of the site is nice. Maybe if you put the picture on the right rather than the left, it would be easier to read.
Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, the text is not impossible to read, but the stripey background is extremely hard on the eyes. It kind of drags them all over the place. I'd go for a plain background, as suggested above, with a bigger font.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.