FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Brit Rock

Author Topic: Brit Rock
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone here listen to any Brit rock bands? I'm trying to expand my collection (as of now I have Blur, Muse, Kaiser Chiefs, and Joy Division).
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been listening exclusively to Virgin UK over the iTunes radio for the last month or so... are The Killers popular over here yet?
Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
There's this band that just did a version of The Isley Brothers' Twist and Shout. They're named after an insect or something. I think they're going to be big.

Also there's this other new band that named themselves after Rolling Stone magazine. They're not bad.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
check out James. their LAID album is in my top 5.
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Speed [ROFL]

I was SO going to do that...

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

The Killers are, but I thought they were from Vegas...
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

Ha, are they? I must have assumed because I never hear them on the stations around here. Which, of course, you know! [Big Grin]
Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You never hear the Killers on the radio? *blink*
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

Tom, I've heard them on radio stations not where we are (Ithaca). Ithaca doesn't really have a selection of "new" music radio. I suppose WVBR would play them, but I kind of doubt it. Then again, I also don't know what other stations are out there here.
Zeugma
Member # 6636

Yeah, WVBR would be the right genre, but they're not exactly "with it". I don't think they even remember what "it" is. [Wink]
kojabu
Member # 8042

Everytime I put them on, I only hear stuff like the Rolling Stones. I feel like the IC station might have a better shot of playing new stuff, but I don't even know what the frequency is. For the meantime though, I'm gonna stick with my iPod. [Big Grin]
Zeugma
Member # 6636

Though I do enjoy Lite 97's station identifier....

"Lite 97 FM... anticipating the music of this generation, and doing something about it."

Oh wow, yeah, that's just great. You keep on reaching for that rainbow, Kevin.

[Razz]

Zeugma
Member # 6636

WICB, 91.7 FM

They're extremely hit and miss. I do like "breakfast with the Beatles" on Sunday, can't go wrong with that... breakfast, of course, being from noon to 2pm... [Big Grin]

JLM
Member # 7800

- posted      Profile for JLM           Edit/Delete Post 
Based on what you have already collected, I recommend New Order and Charlatans UK.
Posts: 157 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

Is New Order still doing 80's esque stuff like the song Bizarre Love Triangle?
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

- posted      Profile for johnsonweed           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow I can't believe that no one has mentioned The Jam! Paul Weller is a genius. You really need to listen to all of their albums in order to hear the maturation of the band that really comes together in Setting Sons. Paul Weller then went on to form The Style Council, which is an outstanding band in its own right.
Posts: 514 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Richard Thompson
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not really rock, but the best music I've heard out of Britain in a while that seems to fit what you're looking for is a guy who goes by the name of The Streets. He's only got two albums so far. The first consisted of some pieces he put together in his garage, and the second disc is a concept album. He's so unique it's almost impossible to describe him... I'd say cockney rap, but that really doesn't do it justice.

I'd get Original Pirate Material first, and if you like it, check out A Grand Don't Come For Free. OPM is a slightly better album musically, but AGDCFF is lyrically one of the most fascinating discs I've heard in quite a while. This guy is probably the most radically unique musician I've heard come from the English dance scene since Massive Attack.

Speaking of which, if you don't have any Massive Attack, that's another band I can unreservedly recommend. I'd get their albums in this order:
  • Blue Lines
  • Mezzanine
  • Protection

That's my two cents. Hope it helps.

[ September 10, 2005, 12:56 PM: Message edited by: Speed ]

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.