FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Are USB keychain flash drives commodities yet?

Author Topic: Are USB keychain flash drives commodities yet?
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I want to buy one. I noticed they are up to 1GB now, but the prices I've seen range from about $90 to $140.

Is there a big difference in performance, reliability, and quality between different brands at this point? If so, what are the good brands.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I read a comparison review of a bunch several months ago, and there were definite speed differences... I have a 1GB SanDisk Cruzr. It works for what I need.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
I just wish they had one that was compatible with WinNT. It is all I have at work. I even put in an order to get my os upgraded to something (anything!) else so I can use one. Ugh!
Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Case quality, speed, and stability actually do vary pretty widely, I'm afraid.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have a login name at Consumer Reports' website? If so, I'm sure they have something there for you.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, do you have any specific recommendations? I've never used one.

Lyrhawn, that's a good thought - I think I do.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
I got my drive free with my computer.
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I have 256 MB flashdrives. They are alot cheaper than the 1GB variety ($30) and are adequate for most everything I do. I can put all my current documents and code on the stick without any problems and still have space left to exchange files with my students.

I work with alot of large data files and its still rare for me to have files that are too big to transport on my flashdrive. For the really big stuff, I use an iPOD.

They are indeed commodities on college campuses. It seems that half the student wear them on lanyards around their necks.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Hm, well our school has lately been requiring one for most computer classes. What with deep freeze eliminating any work we do. (Unless we use the thaw space, but I don't know if they're allowing access.)I got mine two days ago, tested it out a bit and I like it. (A cute little 256 meg.)

Though those finger print reading ones look spiffy...

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
You can normally get a 1GB for $60 or so on sale with a rebate form at Staples or OfficeMax or somesuch. That's where I got mine.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.