FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What are the dimensions of a wallet-sized photo?

Author Topic: What are the dimensions of a wallet-sized photo?
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
And why am I having such a hard time finding this information?

Everything lists all the portraits sized by dimensions, but apparently wallet photos are their own dimensions and no explication is necessary.

Does anyone know this?

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I think they're 2x3 inches.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
All the ones I have in my wallet measure either 2 1/8 x 3 1/8 or 2 1/4 x 3 1/4

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
About the size of a business card, isn't it? That's 2 x 3.5 inches.

Here we go--2.5x3.5.

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
2.5 x 3.5 accodring to Shutterfly.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

This all the photos produced by professional studios that are in my wallet have been gypped [Smile] They are probably including the white trim, which I don't, because I cut it off if they come in sheets.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
2 by 3 is what we got when I was in school.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a photo album for wallet pictures that doesn't fit the ones sold at the local photo place where most of my friends get our senior pictures. So they don't fit in it.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I am using the 2.125" x 3.125" dimensions. Thank you. [Smile] Y'all are so wonderful. I'm making an Important Numbers card for work, and it needs to be "wallet-sized."
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Sorry Adam, I didn't realize that. I'm trying to think of a replacement word to use.

(Do Gypsies still exist? Is it an ethnic or a racial group? I thought it was just a vocation in history)

FG

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Gypsies still exist. Gypsy is an ethnic group. They are apparently descended from people from northern India and what is now Pakistan (according to linguistic experts.) Many are "acclimated" into the societies they live in, but in some places (especially Europe) there are still groups of migrant Gypsies. (In many countries, though, the population has never recovered from "extermination" carried out in Nazi concentration camps.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by adam613:
Please do not use this word to describe being cheated. It's a racial slur against Gypsies.

There's actually no evidence for that.

Link

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

An excellent book about Gypsies for anyone who's interested. My dad has a copy, it's really awesome.
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
My school photographers have two wallet sizes (and of course today is picture day so I no longer have access to actual dimensions). If memory serves, regular wallets ("trading wallets") are about 1.75x2.5 inches, and "jumbo wallets" are closer to business card size.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There's actually no evidence for that.
From the link:
quote:
It’s often said that to gyp derives from gypsy, and it seems highly probable.
There's confusion on where the term "spic" comes from, too, but I wouldn't advocate using the slur.
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

The big difference, of course, is that no one knows that gyp has anything to do with gypsies until someone says, "You shouldn't use that. It's a racial slur against gypsies." If no one is using it to disparage gypsies, then is it really a slur?

On a similar note, you shouldn't use the word dork. It's a slang term for the male organ.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:

On a similar note, you shouldn't use the word dork. It's a slang term for the male organ.

It is??!! [Eek!]

That's a new one to me.

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I found that one out when I called my at-the-time boyfriend a dork and he said "I really wish you'd quit refering to my penis."

[Eek!]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Yup.

Of course, no one uses it to mean that anymore, so I think it's safe to say that it doesn't mean that anymore.

Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
But now its meaning is much closer to the Nerd/Geek/Dork thread's definition, so why insist on its etymology?
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

I'm not. I'm just saying that word origin is pretty much meaningless compared to actual contemporary usage.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.