FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Free Opera browser registration, today only

Author Topic: Free Opera browser registration, today only
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
http://my.opera.com/community/party/reg.dml
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Never been an Opera user, myself, but since I like to see how the sites I design look to other people this is great.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks! [Smile]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Cool, thanks!
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks!

I love the mouse gestures of Opera, but would never pay for a browser or put up with the ads.

Everyone do this, surf the web for a while, then hold down the right click button and click the left one. It takes a couple times to get used to, but it'll become a crutch!

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
The ads are actually about as annoying as the ones at the bottom of this page--which is not at all. At least to me, anyway.

I like Opera's ability to masquerade as other browsers.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I like my firefox extension that allows it to masquerade as other browsers, and the Safari debug menu that allows the same [Wink] .
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Chris!

I don't know if I'll switch from Firefox permanently (I have a mouse gestures extension for that) but it'll be fun to play with for a while.

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
What extension is that Fugu13?
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

User Agent Switcher
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
fugu, I tried to instal that extention, and it said I needed to install teh latest version of firefox...so I shut down the windows (per instructions, by clicking the button provided) and it made 4 shortcuts that I can't remove on my desk top. [Frown]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

I have absolutely no idea what's up with that. What do you mean by you "shut down the windows", and what provided the button? Was this after trying to install the latest version?

Also, what are the shortcuts to?

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I hit update, and it said I had to shut all occurances of firefox down, and gave me a button to do so.....

I fixed it, although I am not sure how I did so....

The shortcuts all said firefox, but didn't go anywhere, and said I couldn't delete the shortcuts because it couldn't find the path....lol....

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
For a Firefox user, is there any good reason to switch to Opera?
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's faster, less clunky, has just about every feature you'd ever want built in without requiring you to find and install a patchwork of extensions, and is nevertheless a smaller download than the stripped-down version of Firefox... but it's not open-source, so it probably sucks. [Smile]

Seriously, for me, off the top of my head, the major draws would be the speed (the only faster browser is Lynx), the true multiple-document interface (it lets you use tabs if you want to, but the MDI is better... I note in passing that I currently have 74 pages open in three windows, and that this is typical for me. I can't work with more than a dozen or so Firefox tabs without getting frustrated with the user interface), the zoom feature (it enlarges or shrinks the text and graphics), the mouse gestures, the keyboard controls, and the ability to switch to your own stylesheet with one click or keystroke.

I registered my copy long ago, and don't regret a penny of it.

Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
I found out about the free Opera registration code from another forum yesterday, before this was posted, and downloaded and installed it to try out.

Just out of curiosity, as I couldn't find the info on Opera's site, how much does it cost to register Opera, normally?

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it bad that I'm a firefox user and I don't know what firefox extensions are?
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

quote:
Originally posted by Ela:
Just out of curiosity, as I couldn't find the info on Opera's site, how much does it cost to register Opera, normally?

If I recall correctly, $39 for regular users, half that for students.
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

Thanks for the info, Shmuel. [Smile]

Is that a one-time fee, after which you can use your registration code to re-install on a new computer, or upgrade?

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

quote:
Originally posted by Ela:
Is that a one-time fee, after which you can use your registration code to re-install on a new computer, or upgrade?

I believe that it can be used again on a new computer (running the same operating system), although I can't swear to that.

As for upgrades, for minor ones (version 8.x), you'll be covered. Opera 9, when it comes out (not anytime soon, 8 having been released this past April) may require paying for an upgrade (currently $15, which is also the price for cross-platform upgrades).

If I recall correctly, registering Opera 5 provided free upgrades all the way up to the final version of Opera 6. Upgrading to Opera 7 (which was a major overhaul) required a new registration code, which still works through the current 8 series.

Shmuel
Member # 7586

Also perhaps of interest to new Opera users: there's a new edition of 30 Days to becoming an Opera Lover in progress.
Ela
Member # 1365

Thanks for posting the link. [Smile]
Shmuel
Member # 7586

Opera is now ad-free.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.