FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » If you really don't like the name of your city/town...

Author Topic: If you really don't like the name of your city/town...
KetchupPrinceConsort
Member # 8047

- posted      Profile for KetchupPrinceConsort   Email KetchupPrinceConsort         Edit/Delete Post 
..you could change it to "Dish"

News link

I suppose there are worse names for citys and towns. I personally think that Toadsuck, AR should change theirs.

Posts: 137 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh. This one makes me laugh all the time. In fact, it's kind of a joke at Comcast.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goo Boy
Member # 7752

- posted      Profile for Goo Boy   Email Goo Boy         Edit/Delete Post 
What's scary is that in their poll 47% of people said they'd do it.

I wouldn't. Not for TV.

My goodness, we really are too freaking addicted to TV. It's sad, I think.

Posts: 289 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
That is really pathetic. Well, I think cable companies are pathetic anyway.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
How so? [Razz]
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
It's not just TV, GB-- it's free TV. [Big Grin]

Where do we sign up?

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
A town pretty close to mine is that of Bucksnort Tennessee. I mean, come on...
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Toadsuck is a cool name! what do you have against poor Toadsuck?

It's got personality.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd totally do it! Unless the city name had incredible sentimetnal value, I don't see a problem. [Smile]
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goo Boy
Member # 7752

For TV?!

Talk about selling out cheap!

I mean, for a lifetime supply of books, I would change my own name to Amazon. But for free TV?!

::shakes head::

Posts: 289 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps your town name means a lot to you, but personally Richardson versus Dish makes no difference to me. And dish service is like $40 a month. So 40x12x10= $4800. Almost $5000 worth of stuff at no sacfice to myself doesn't feel like selling out cheap.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goo Boy
Member # 7752

Do you currently have DishTV?
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I currently have satellite television. I'd gladly live in Dish, Wisconsin to avoid paying the monthly charges. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I mean, for a lifetime supply of books, I would change my own name to Amazon. But for free TV?!
Um, you may not have gotten the memo, but I do believe that there is a public library in your town that supplies its gentle citizenry with a lifetime of books for free.

There have been other towns that have changed their names for less. A town in New Mexico changed its name to Truth or Consequences, in order to have a game show tape an episode from there.

I grew up in a town called "New City". The name stood for ... nothing at all. The town wasn't even all that new, either, but I suppose that it was at one time. There are plenty of towns on the map that are named for the biggest landowners at the time that the towns were incorporated. Not necessarily people of historic importance or admirable qualities, just people who sold a bunch of their acreage for development. No great loss if their name comes off the road signs.

It would be a neat name for a town that has a pottery industry, no?

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Amanecer and Tom on this one. What do I care what the town's named? I could see it mattering if you were in a small town with a long tradition behind the name, or a big city that people around the country know the name of. I'm in a suburb of Minneapolis. To someone out of state, I live in Minneapolis. To someone in the city, I live on the west side, or "by 394." Change the official name of my city to Dish, it makes no real difference.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goo Boy
Member # 7752

a) My town's public library is a room in the public school's library. Substantially smaller than my living room. And since 9/11, they really frown on members of the public going there.

b) I like to own books. They are worth a hell of a lot more to me than TV programming is.

Goo Boy
Member # 7752

And there was a town in Montana that changed their name to Joe shortly before one of the 49ers superbowls. I thought that was clever--I think they got some free tickets out of the deal--but I was disappointed that they changed it back after the game was played. I thought that was lame. You want a cheap publicity stunt? Then freaking do it for real!
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Goo, that stinks. That really stinks. No public library! I'm a visiting nurse, and in the awful heat this summer, when I needed respite, I ducked into whatever public library I was near. I travel amongst 3-4 counties, and every municipality has at least one library. I'd get some lovely cloud juice at the water fountain, then grab the copy of "Magic Street" off the "New Book" shelves, and read for a while as I cooled down. In this way, I read "Magic Street" this summer, in maybe 10 or 12 libraries.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
When we were engaged and drive out to BYU we broke down in a little town in Indiana. When I was telling my dad the name I told him it was Flyspeck Indiana. To this day I don't remember the real name of the town. I might recognize it on a map but to me the name of that town will forever be Flyspeck, Indiana. I don't know if the town appreciates me changing its name but there you have it.....
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd happily change the name of Irving (my current town) to Dish, but I wouldn't change the name of Dallas. Too much history, and it's just so much fun to say.

Added: Wait, what am I thinking? I don't even have TV. I think I'd change the name just because it's hilarious.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.