FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I hate you, George R R Martin Fans.

Author Topic: I hate you, George R R Martin Fans.
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Because of several threads devoted to the series, I became interested.

Because of the views of hatrackers I bought A Game of Thrones this week.

I've been on the other side of the country from home, sibling and grandfather sitting. I've been very busy. And I have read it feverishly.

I love it. I love how each character is complex and nothing is black and white. I love the grand scale and the background relationships. I love how no-one is really *good*, or really evil - except, perhaps, Joffrey. (I'm hating Joffrey right now).

And I hate you because I finished A Game of Thrones tonight. And unless A Clash of Kings is available at Canberra airport tomorrow morning, it is gonna be a long flight home.

*grrrr*!

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I am so sorry, imogen, but remember this:

We are all in that very same boat. We have to wait for book 4.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

I know. I am clinging to that thought. [Smile]

Except, I know I will read 2, 3 and 4 (when it comes) and then be waiting with the rest of you.

*grrr*

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't want to hear it, I have been waiting for Frisco to stop getting George drunk so he could finish book 4 for over a year now...

[Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
The ironic thing is, now that you have made your own George R. R. Martin thread, you will undoubtably lure someone else into reading the series, therefore becoming the very thing you hate!
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry Kwea, this time it's my fault. I've been keeping George entertained by kissing German boys in his presence [Razz]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

If you REALLY want to delay him, next time bring a girl... [Wink]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Then, if you spank the girls, you can also delay Robert Jordan from finishing his series.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
They're bastards, aren't they? *shakes fist*
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parsimony
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for Parsimony           Edit/Delete Post 
Another one falls to our evil plans!

Muahahahahaha

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
imogen, I also said it that way because the boating director I worked with at summer camp (during college) was Australian. Whenever frustrated with something/someone in a not-too-serious way, she'd yell, "Bastards!" In that distinctly Australian accent.

A month later, I apparently gave her the giggles when she realized I'd developed the same habit.

I need to visit Australia.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

Yes, yes you do.

Bastards!

[Smile]

And then, I can kidnap you and make you take photos for me. (I may have been revisiting your bobndana photos...)

UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
I went to my library's used book sale again and picked up A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords, Ender's Game, H.G. Wells' The Time Machine, and John Irving's The Ciderhouse Rules, for 25 cents each.

[ August 25, 2005, 03:08 PM: Message edited by: UofUlawguy ]

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

quote:
Originally posted by imogen:
Yes, yes you do.

Bastards!

[Smile]

And then, I can kidnap you and make you take photos for me. (I may have been revisiting your bobndana photos...)

As my imagination runs wild.... [Wink]
mackillian
Member # 586

Normally, I'm a John Irving fan. But The Cider House Rules...I really didn't like.

And kwea, *thwap*

theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in the same boat as imogen. I just finished "A Game of Thrones" and I desperately want to read "A Clash of Kings." However, I'm forcing myself to finish at least two non-fiction books before going back to the library to get it. Otherwise I would never read them.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I went to my library's used book sale again and picked up A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords, Ender's Game, H.G. Wells' The Time Machin, and John Irving's The Ciderhouse Rules, for 25 cents each.
That's got to be about the best $1.25 you've ever spent.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The ironic thing is, now that you have made your own George R. R. Martin thread, you will undoubtably lure someone else into reading the series, therefore becoming the very thing you hate!
How true. I somehow missed the other threads, but this:

quote:
I love how each character is complex and nothing is black and white. I love the grand scale and the background relationships. I love how no-one is really *good*, or really evil
has made me really curious. I love stories where nothing is black and white.

quote:
I've been keeping George entertained by kissing German boys in his presence
Uh . . . ich bin ein Berliner. [Big Grin]

[Edit: Yes, that's a Kennedy quote. Yes, I know the grammatical error. Don't try to correct me.]

[Edit again: D'oh! Noemon beat me to it. Mmmmm . . . d'ohnut. Sorry, I got distracted. What were we talking about?]

[ August 25, 2005, 11:42 AM: Message edited by: Verily the Younger ]

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
mmmmm....jelly doughnut.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
has made me really curious. I love stories where nothing is black and white.
Run and get this series, I promise you won't regret it!
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent
Member # 7850

- posted      Profile for Kent   Email Kent         Edit/Delete Post 
I was also a victim to these threads and I finished the first three books about 2 months ago. I have never been so addicted. Truly the best fantasy I've ever read.
Posts: 231 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
I really want to read these books. Should I wait until the whole series comes out to start it?
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Nope. I want more people to suffer the pain of waiting for... Errr... Hmm... I mean, they're great, why wait? :sheepish look:
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parsimony
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for Parsimony           Edit/Delete Post 
If you wait for the whole series to be out before you start, you will miss the fun. Plus you will be 70 years old.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kettricken
Member # 8436

- posted      Profile for Kettricken   Email Kettricken         Edit/Delete Post 
I say start now, then you can suffer the wait for future books with the rest of us. Besides, if you start enough ongoing series you get lots of books to looks forward to. Ideally you need enough to see you through the wait for each one (easier with some authors than others…)
Posts: 169 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoyed the Song of Fire and Ice, but I was starting to wonder if **SPOILERIFIC** George RR wrote this series as a bet with another writer. "How much horrible bad things can I inflict upon the main characters before people stop reading?"

Please forgive the fact that I don't remember details or names, it's been awhile since I read this...

I mean good gosh golly gee, the mother dies, then is a zombie, the daughter is a run away, they kill the father, they kill the wolf, I'm sure there is more missery, but I can't remember and until book four comes out I'm not going to reread the books, WAY too depressing.

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I am having a hard time rereading the books. I loved them the first time around, but the second time, I'm really frustrated with the shifting points of view.

quote:
I went to my library's used book sale again and picked up A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords, Ender's Game, H.G. Wells' The Time Machine, and John Irving's The Ciderhouse Rules, for 25 cents each.
Now you're just taunting me. [Cry]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.