FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » River Tam security tape

Author Topic: River Tam security tape
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Seen on iFilm.com:

http://download.ifilm.com/qt/portal/2677821_300.mov

Now that's downright unsettling.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Added: not from the Serenity movie, not a spoiler. Just creepifying.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
*twitches*

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
o_O
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
That scared my dog.
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Just scared my cat too. Leapt out of my lap using all ten of her front claws for traction when the guy made his loudest noise.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, my... that was some scary stuff.
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Creepifying.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
Sweet!

I mean, uh, wow check out the scary assassin girl. [Wink]

Hmm... the clip says "Second Excerpt." I wonder if there's a first?

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Very creepy and well done. It just goes to show that you don't need blood and guts and gore to be creepy. Hitchcock understood this. I wish more modern filmakers did. [Smile]
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't want to click on it. (easily scared) Just tell me what it is about....
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be checking this out as soon as I get home.

Someone on my friends list calls this a "Serenity viral marketing ploy". Don't know if there's any truth in that, but the idea is neat.

Oh, and random plug for "The Signal" - a Firefly/Serenity podcast. So, so good!

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

Farmgirl, It's black and white. A man is seated toward the right side of the frame, with his back to te camera. he's resting his arm on a table beside him (you can't see the pen and pad by his hand, at first). Across from him is an empty metal chair.

He seems relaxed at first, then he tenses. You can hear somewhat distressed breathing and... noises as his hand moves out of view, toward his face. More bad, creepy noises. It sounds like he's choking, or being injured somehow. Then, his hand jerks back to the table, smeared with a dark substance (presumably his own blood) and the pen that had been in his hand slides across the table. He gurgles more, tries to stand and collapses out of frame.

Then river comes into frame, very close on the right side. Her hand is also (presumably) bloody, as her fingers rest lightly on the screen. She's wide-eyed and sort of frightened, wise-child innocent-looking. She whispers, "I can see you."

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Actually I had the impression that he removed the pen from where it had been... lodged?
Olivet
Member # 1104

Oh. I thought he might have been... doing something to himself, but that makes more sense.
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Farmgirl - It's creepy because it's inferred violence. We don't see exactly what is happening, we just know that something awful is happening.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely morbid and creepifying.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
At least she didn't spook the cattle.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

WOAH. WOW. CREEPY.

Awesome.

Not sayin' I really like creepy stuff. It can be good, but it's not really my thing. But dear Joss, this will get people talking, and that's a very good thing. It's already been linked all over my Friends List on LiveJournal, and there's a superlong thread about it at the movie site. Can't wait to see what else they come up with!

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Farmgirl, I get creeped out really easily. As in, I got a cold feeling just watching the trailer for The Village. But while this is objectively creepy, it didn't seem to be personal. I didn't look over my shoulder, worried that River was there about to stab me with a pen. I'm sure it helps that I "know" River from watching Firefly and so she doesn't seem quite so threatening as she would if I watched this clip with no context.

It's also helpful that the person dying and the person who's actually behind the camera are probably both evil Alliance people who did this to River. They deserve it, those jerks.

And you're right, xnera, this is great advertising for the movie.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
All creepiness aside, Summer Glau looks beautiful, doesn't she?
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I did not enjoy watching that.

I'm done with Firefly guys, please don't shoot me. Maybe if I had the DVD's and could watch it uninterrupted I could get it. But I'm just confused and not able to get into the show at all, because of the time it comes on. Six o'clock on Friday - prime dinner making time, and mom and Wes are usually just getting home and the kids and puppies are excited to see them and I just miss half the dialogue in the show every week. Firefly and I are not meant to be, the relationship is just not working out.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe you should try counseling.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be that Joss refuses to go with her.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

Adrian, you are dead to me.

*weeps hysterically*

(I'm really just kidding. I have managed to keep many friendships alive despite clear diferences of opinion in religion, sexuality and... now... entertainment.)

*sigh*

We still love you, sweetie. [Wink]

Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
"Also, I can kill you....with my mind...."
~River

(added: Just watched it...Good God! That was creepy!!!!)

[ August 19, 2005, 03:20 PM: Message edited by: Eruve Nandiriel ]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

Trying an experiment on my LiveJournal. Included a link to the vid, saying it was "cool, in a very 'That's creepy!' sort of way", but didn't mentioned it was a Firefly/Serenity thing. I then immediately followed up that post with ANOTHER post, this one friendslocked to the noisiest Firefly fans on my friends list, begging them NOT to mention Firefly/Serenity if they comment about the vid. I want to see if we can get people talking about it who aren't already fans.
Tarrsk
Member # 332

Good idea, xnera. I haven't actually seen the video mentioned outside of a Firefly-related setting yet, which sort of defeats the purpose of viral marketing, unfortunately.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

ANOTHER ONE!!! This is from the VERY FIRST SESSION, so we see River before the Alliance started messing with her brain.
Lord Solar Macharius
Member # 7775

- posted      Profile for Lord Solar Macharius           Edit/Delete Post 
I was just going to post this.

Undoubtably Joss on the other side of the desk.

Posts: 254 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

Just posted this in a thread at the official movie site:

quote:
John Dowses? Interesting. I mean, I know it's an anagram, but I can't help but think of Orson Scott Card's Alvin Maker books. There's a scene with a divining rod in there; in another scene, a character calls the pseudo-science phrenology (which features in the book) "dowsing for brains". Given that this is a viral marketing campaign, it kind of feels like we're dowsing for the truth here. So I love the wordplay of the anagrammed name, even if it's not intended (though Joss is so brilliant I wouldn't be surprised if it is).

LOVED the clip, though I wish the audio synched up better to the video. Maybe it was just my computer?

(the clip was uploaded by a "John Dowses", which is an anagram for Joss Whedon.)
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
For some reason, that link doesn't work for me.
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

There's a couple of mirrors at http://www.session416.com. But the site's pretty swamped at the moment.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
The link is working now...it wasn't working earlier for me either, but it just came back up.

Good marketing I think, although a little weird... [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

That one wasn't creepy, but it was cool.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Someone on my friends list calls this a "Serenity viral marketing ploy". Don't know if there's any truth in that, but the idea is neat.
The incontinence pads? OK, I can see that.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

Very cool. It looks like they'll be gradually revealing River's backstory via the clips, in a way that intruiges newcomers and gives us Firefly fans some wonderful new canon material.

That last line ("Would I still be allowed to dance?") is heart-breaking.

imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Just watched the second, downloading the first.

Boy I love staying with people who have broadband!

[Big Grin]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
Found something funny

http://www.checkerboardnightmare.com/d/20050824.html

Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

The clip of the first session is almost harder to watch. We've never really seen River before (except for the brief glimpse in Safe of a very young River) as a healthy, happy young woman.

That there on the screen is what they took away from her. Monsters.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

Another one's been posted! This one's Session 22. You can get it via one of the links at http://www.session416.com/mirrors

Thoughts, copied from a post elsewhere:

Subject: this session makes my brain tingly

I'm almost glad I overslept this morning and was late for work, because it meant I was able to download & watch the video at least once before heading to work. I would have been going nuts if I couldn't watch it until I got home! (my work computer has no sound, go figure). The three sessions we've seen so far have made my brain explode into a thousand thoughts and questions.

Did River say a name when she was talking about the guy who died on the table? I wasn't listening very carefully and didn't catch it. Just wondering if the name (if there was one) was the same that was mentioned in Session 1.

Also, can anyone refresh my memory and tell me how long it took Simon to rescue River after receiving her letter? I'm thinking it was at least a year, yes? Because I'm wondering if this session is the one that was recorded right before she wrote the letter to Simon.

I'm also wondering whether or not she's been operated on yet. She certainly seems a lot closer to the River we know than the optimistic, happy girl we saw in session 1. But I also think that a lot of her behavior changes could have come with conditioning and not surgery. We see the psychiatrist try to beat her down by saying Simon's too busy for her and stuff like that. I also think she might have had some natural ability to "read" other people, as she says as much in the first session. So, my thought is that the Academy might try to enhance her skills as much as possible via conditioning or hyponosis before trying surgery. Just a thought.

Another thought: How did the Academy/Alliance discover her in the first place? Did someone tip them off, or do they monitor everyone, looking for promising candidates? It just makes me all kinds of curious.

Looking forward to seeing more sessions, even if they are heartbreaking!

Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, that one's so sad. Does anyone know how many more are supposed to be released before the movie comes out?

Jen

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

Supposedly, ifilm has four of them (in total, meaning there'd be just one more). I hope there's more than four, though, because they're really, really good.
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
And another! I haven't seen it yet because my internet is a little sluggish today, but anyway if you scroll all the way down to the bottom of this website, there is a link to another one. Session 165, I think.

River Tam Security Tapes

Edit: Sad. River's trying to still be sane.

Jen

[ August 31, 2005, 01:03 AM: Message edited by: Fyfe ]

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
That was pretty creepy, but...what the hell is it?
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

That was bizarre. River wasn't usually quite that incoherent during the series.
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, xnera, thanks for the podcast link. I've been looking everywhere for a recording of the music from the end of The Message and episode seven of the podcast had just that. Not perfect, of course, there are smudges where the voices were, but easily good enough that I could separate it from the rest of the stuff and use it to learn the piece well enough to record a cover of it.

Which I just did. [Smile]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
God, these are sad, sad, sad. And I am planning to watch Firefly tonight, too... now these are going to be in my head.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

quote:
Hey, xnera, thanks for the podcast link.
Welcome! Glad it came in useful. [Smile]
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
That music is one of my favourite moments in the series. I've wanted to learn to play it since I first saw the episode. [Smile]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.