FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » X-Men and Death

Author Topic: X-Men and Death
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Dang death-defying mutants!

Of course...only people who have some familiarity with the X-Men comics will even get this. Oh well.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Um, is that NY Xenon infiltration storyline for real?

I'm feeling less bad about not keeping up with X-Men since Zero Tolerance.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
omg! That's hysterical. And so very, VERY true.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I got a big laugh out of that, what with being an old school X-Men fan (well if you call late 80's/early 90's old school).
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
No one dies tonight!
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
You mean Xorn? Yes, what happened was during Grant Morrisons run on New X-men he had Magneto pretend to be Xorn and pretty much destroy New York city...during which he killed Jean (who had already been killed two isues before) and had his head chopped off by Wolverine. The way Grant Morrison wrote it, there was no Xorn. Right after that Morrison left the book and Chris Claremont retconed the whole thing...added the whole Xorn twin brother thing...and brought back Magneto. So blame Chris Claremont for the whole confussion.
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Oh, man.

Do you know Marvel used to brag that when someone died, they really died, not like DC?

Ha!

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
What I want to know is why Wolverine has a really, really thick Canadian accent.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Because he's from Canadia.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Tell it to Gwen Stacy's clone's daughter. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

It wasn't Chris Claremont's decision to retcon it. Both he and Morrison agree that such was an editorial edict...mainly because Magneto is going to be a villain in X-3, and they wanted the comic version still around.

Blame the editors.

And more concern about tying into the movie franchise than coherent comic stories.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
That's Marvel's biggest weakness right now: they're making so much money on licensing existing intellectual property to films that they're actually shortchanging the comic book material which is the source of their film properties.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I hate to break this to you Tom, but Marvel is maintaining that it wasn't the clone Gwen Stacy who conceived children with the Green Goblin in a previously unrevealed illicit tryst.

Nope, writer JMS (and Marvel) claim it was the real Gwen. [Roll Eyes]

As real as a comic character can be, anyway. [Smile]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:

Marvel is maintaining that it wasn't the clone Gwen Stacy who conceived children with the Green Goblin in a previously unrevealed illicit tryst.

I know. I'm in full-on denial. In fact, my Spiderman fix is coming exclusively from Ultimate and Marvel Knights now.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Is this in the Amazing line? I haven't read any since the birthday storyline w/ Dr. Strange?
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
This kind of thing is why I tend to read independant or standalone mini-series comics in trade paperback collection form.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aeroth
Member # 6269

- posted      Profile for Aeroth   Email Aeroth         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Enigmatic:
This kind of thing is why I tend to read independant or standalone mini-series comics in trade paperback collection form.

And miss out on all the good storylines in the core titles?
Posts: 121 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jess N
Member # 6744

- posted      Profile for Jess N           Edit/Delete Post 
Is this on an alternate timeline? Did I die? hehe...Who are we in this alternate timeline?

Oh the confusion! Love that Marvel!

Posts: 392 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Aeroth, a clarification on "standalone miniseries" : I'll read a storyline from one of the core titles if it stands alone as a complete story arc. For instance, I recently got the 2 Batman "Hush" trades (mainly because Book mentioned them in a different thread). That works as a story all by itself, and you don't miss out on much by not following the title each month. I didn't know who Huntress was, for example, but that didn't seem to matter much.

I haven't bought a comic book on a monthly basis since (don't hit me!) Spawn, back in issues 1-50 when it was kinda cool. Okay, that's probably more issues than it was good, but it took me a while to stop. Now most of things I read are more like Marvel 1602 or Dark Knight Returns, where there's a story and it has an ending and the place in the larger continuity isn't really important.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Yeah, these days I read very Marvel or DC.

Mostly I read indie and manga.

Though I still have the occasional project from the Big 2.

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Jean's back from the dead again! So it's time to kill her again!

Excellent jokes in this...about a certain Canadian super-hero and his insane schedule, about Emma Frost being Emma Frost...and a special cameo by Sammy the Fishboy!

(Don't ask. Be glad you didn't read his stories, if you don't recognize him.)

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.