FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The thread for moms that have sent their kids to school

Author Topic: The thread for moms that have sent their kids to school
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
How are you guys doing? Everybody adjusting to the school schedule? Any surprises?

Last night I was putting leftovers in the fridge and I thought to myself that I didn't have enough to feed me and the twins lunch today. So, I began thinking of what else I had that I could fix with lunch when it occurred to me - I don't have to feed the twins lunch today. They're going to eat at school! I'm by myself!

I can go to the library and not have to keep saying "Shush!" to my bored children beside me. I don't even have to go spend time in the children's library section playing puzzles with them and helping them pick out books - I can go to the regular, grown-up sections of the library and browse for hours if I want to!

I can stay on hatrack without being interrupted. I could even go back to bed and sleep if I wanted to, but I know better than to mess up my personal sleep cycle like that. Besides, I do start school myself in only three days.

And of course, I miss them. [Smile]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
My children go back to school on the 25th. They've been relishing the few days that they have left. I've been counting down. [Smile]

I have two in high school this year, a junior and a freshman. I imagine the freshman will have a few surprises. Aubree’ will be in 7th this year. I feel ancient.

I remember the first time I went to the library by myself after the kids were old enough to go to school, it was so liberating.

My problem is maintaining a schedule. When the kids are around or Mr. Tammy is home, I'm Mrs. Busy and organized. The minute I have the house to myself I fall apart.

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
This is the beginning of the third week for me. Ron and I walk the boys to the bus stop and wait with them until the bus comes and wave as it pulls away. I think they like the extra TLC. Robert is in third grade, which is a tough year what with the mandatory testing and all. So far, though, he seems to be enjoying it.

It is weird to be without them, especially Liam, since this is his first year in all-day school. He seems underwhelmed by the homework assignments (Count five pennies to an adult, etc.) He has actually said he needs more homework, so I give him extra workbook assignments at home.

But, yeah. It is strange to go the library or the grocery store or whatever and not have to be constantly pulling someone along or shushing them. [Wink]

It's a strangely naked feeling.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Tammy I think the school schedule will actually help keep me structured. We didn't have to wake up at any particular time during the summer, now everybody must be up and dressed by 6:30. I have freedom, yes, but I also have to be home when the bus gets here. When I have all the kids with me, I could put off going somewhere to whenever I wanted to because I had to take them with me anyway - what did it matter if I shopped at 9:00 or 4:00 pm? Now it does matter, if I want to get things done I have to start earlier and get it done and get back.

That will be good for me, I tend to be a lazy bum until after lunch. Can't afford to do that, now.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Olivia, this is my first week of all-day school. Last week the twins went only half-days.

The bus picks up right at our front yard, and the first day I watched them, they insisted they didn't need me, and they were out there like stairsteps - Natalie holding Emily's hand, Emily holding Daniel's and Daniel holding Abigail's. I teared up. [Smile]

Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to be a lazy bum when I set my own schedule. I really have to be firm with myself! I don't listen that well to me.
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I work full time so it hasn't been much of an adjustment for me [Smile] But the first day we dropped his brother off at school my 3 yo cried for 15-20 mins because he was going to miss his brother so much [Frown] It made me a little teary eyed.
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a full-timer as well, so the only real change for me is getting the kids up in the morning in time for buses. By the time I come home at night, homework is expected to be done, so our evenings won't change.

Heather goes back to school on the 24th, Missy on the 29th. And they're both so very excited about it!

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
When the kids go back(August 29th), I will be back as well. So it is a big deal for me this year.

I was home since December, and I loved getting them on the bus, knowing they had had a good breakfast, seeing them off.

My husband does a fine job with this, don;t get me wrong. Different, but fine. In fact, they never miss the bus when he is in charge, but missed at least one bus per week on my watch.

I will just miss that part of the day. So it is definitely a landmark, if you will, that first day of school.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
My kiddos went back last Thursday. So far they both really like their teachers, which always makes for a better school year. Operaetta has homework for the first time (first grade) and Boy Opera has a wonderful study hall period at the end of the day which I'm loving. Last year he had a TON of homework.

I missed them really badly last week, but now I'm reminding myself that it's a good thing to have a bit of peace and quiet and a chance to relax before the baby comes. I do hate the "rushed" quality of our late evenings, though. Mr. Opera doesn't get home till about 7, so we have dinner, dessert, baths, and stories between then and 9.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goo Boy
Member # 7752

- posted      Profile for Goo Boy   Email Goo Boy         Edit/Delete Post 
Do we no longer have any SAHD's at Hatrack? It seems like we used to have one or two.
Posts: 289 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Papa Moose is a SAHD, correct?

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Icarus was, too?
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
No, Icarus is a working dad, and also, I am sure, teaches many of the manners to his students that dads never got around to.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I was a SAHD for a too-brief period, but haven't been for many years.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.