FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A better place to be a squatter...

Author Topic: A better place to be a squatter...
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight, a man wandered onto our property at work. Apparently he thought House 4 looked like a great place to live, sat down on the patio, and refused to move. He wanted to live there. The manager eventually had to call the police to remove him.

Now, if I was looking for a new place to live, my first choice would not be a home for men and women with serious mental and psychotic disabilities. And even then, I wouldn't pick a house with aggressive residents.

How odd.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe he felt he belonged.

I seriously wonder what it feels like to be homeless, and if any of us who haven't been can even imagine what it's like. I've had stray cats do the same thing to me, just come camp out on my porch and say "I'm home". I always took their word for it and started putting food and water out. Stray people are much more problematic, of course. I'm rather relieved that none of them have camped on my porch yet. I do always give something to panhandlers, but that's quite easy for me.

I really don't know if I could get the police to eject a homeless person from wherever they found to squat. I would feel so hard and cold doing that.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
See, to me it would seem like a safe and comforting thing that I could...not the evicting part, but the part that we live in a country where we can call the police about such things.

I have been there, myself..not completely homeless, but living out of a hotel room because someone lied to me a took a first months rent, then rented it out to someone else while I was away....adn while I sympathise with their situation I would never let one squat near me.

Far too many of them are dangerous, either to people or to property, because they are so desperate. [Frown]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
But it wasn't just a normal house. It's one building connected to a lot of other buildings, tucked back away from the street, with maglocks on the doors and all.

I do hope the guys finds a place to live, but he really did have to go. Some of our guys can be unpredictable, and this could very well have triggered something. It wasn't safe for anyone.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.